Hi! I'm here to ask for an opinion as someone who want to develop an Android app for the first time.
Can someone suggest to me whether I should use Java or Kotlin to write my code? My app will constantly need to fetch and submit data to phpmyadmin which I put it in my online server. For now, I'm planning to use Retrovit for network library.

Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Why not use the free Android Studio? Many tutorials out there.

commented: I'm using android studio but, still consider which language to use either java or kotlin +0

I don't see a clear winner. What would make you choose one over the other?

commented: I think kotlin easier to understand. But since I'm not familiar with java, I think java have more tutorial than kotlin? +0

If you're going to develop exclusively for Android, then use Android Studio as rproffitt suggests. However, if you want to go a step further, you could take a look at Flutter and use it to develop apps for Android and iOS using a single code-base. Of course, that means learning Dart, but from what I've seen so far, it seems more intuitive than Java/Kotlin for mobile apps. That's just my opinion.

commented: thank you for your suggestion. I'll take a look on it +0

Even in Android Studio I don't think it's "pure" Java. Again I see no clear winner in which you choose. But if Kotlin is easier, go for that. I don't see them ending it for a very long time.

In 2022, the battle between the programming languages will intensify. Taking Java and Kotlind into consideration, both of them have pros and cons. However, the timing is not yet right to suggest that Kotling will overtake Java in 2022. The huge user community that Java enjoys today is unlikely to disappear anytime soon.

While Kotlin might not be your cup of tea, if you're looking to write code for an Android app, you'll find that Kotlin is a great fit. You can take advantage of the power of Kotlin without sacrificing compatibility with existing Java libraries. Kotlin is inherently lightweight, clean, and far less verbose, especially in terms of writing callbacks, data classes, and getters/setters.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.