Would never buy an acer again.

For others who may have the same problem here is the error during boooting.

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting

Sorry to say, no offence, but unfortunately some computer users are newbs and freak out at every little problem from unpopular manufacturer.
Acer laptops are just like any other laptops, prone to the problems of any other manufacturer. Lets all face it, they all go to the same parts manufacturer to have the same components, mainly what you pay your extras for are the BRANDING, SUPPORT offered by the different companies and CUSTOMIZED settings and software. I have worked with many Acers and I found many generic drivers which work for other brands of laptops which would show us how they all use basically the same parts, just have the manufacturer place their logo and name of the software.
As for problems, look at the big Dell issue with a whole line of laptops with that Battery and Charger issue. Hp’s demon was the pages and pages of recalled serial numbers for laptops with bad NETWORK CARDS which were causing the mainboards to fail. Toshiba had its battery issues as well when it recalled laptops too.
All because as I said before “they all use basically the same parts” so some manufacturer of batteries dropped the ball.
I think Dell is drastically over priced for no reason, HP had too many swing and misses with their boards (but when you get a good one YOU GET A REAL GOOD ONE), Toshiba now is into the same mass production so anything can go wrong (but hey, they still have good technology like the flip over touchscreen) and finally Acer has its CHEAP laptops as all the other companies do, where they but the low rated parts and the moderate to expensive ones where they put quality stuff. So a expensive dell, may have the same as a Acer which costs 100 or so dollars less, doesn’t mean the Dell is better because of price you mainly pay for Brand and Service. Check the specs compare prices and make your decision. Some people need to change their stance on this “higher price mean it is better” thing, that’s how some companies know they can survive on name instead of quality these days.

I bought an acer 2920z in december 08.

It is the best laptop i've used in my life! Stable and worth it.

I RECOMMEND ACER!!!

i 've'nt really done any technicall research on it but i could remember a cousin of mine once advice me not to buy their laptop when i was planining to buy the one am using now.

They are cheap compared to the competition. It depends on what you want to use the laptop for. Acer might have some good products but I would not buy from them after the experience with a monitor I bought.

I know it is a Euorpen brand, and the reputation is not bad. But I still prefer the DEll or Apple!

Not sure why ppl keep bumping an old thread, but anyhow.

ACER a "European brand" eh? Since when did Taiwan become part of Europe??

ACER laptops only seem to be of any worth if you pay the money to get one of their high-end models; in which case you'd still be better of look at Toshiba or Dell if stepping into that price bracket.

Not sure why ppl keep bumping an old thread, but anyhow.

ACER a "European brand" eh? Since when did Taiwan become part of Europe??

ACER laptops only seem to be of any worth if you pay the money to get one of their high-end models; in which case you'd still be better of look at Toshiba or Dell if stepping into that price bracket.

I am a professional who travels quite a bit and puts a computer to quite some heavy use. I have had an acer extensa 5210 for two years now...It is a great hardy laptop. A friend of mine accidentally say on it once! A 180lb fella...nothing happened to the damn thing!

It has a 15 inch glossy screen with crisp clear screen. Easily downgrades from vista to XP, all components have xp drivers. Multiple card reader, firewire, wireless, bluetooth, DVD burner, empowering technology (meant for vista but works with XP), and linux (Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope) takes off (out of the box) on this baby like jet....no extra driver installation needed at all.

When i obught it two years ago, $370.

I am a professional who travels quite a bit and puts a computer to quite some heavy use. I have had an acer extensa 5210 for two years now...It is a great hardy laptop. A friend of mine accidentally say on it once! A 180lb fella...nothing happened to the damn thing!

It has a 15 inch glossy screen with crisp clear screen. Easily downgrades from vista to XP, all components have xp drivers. Multiple card reader, firewire, wireless, bluetooth, DVD burner, empowering technology (meant for vista but works with XP), and linux (Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope) takes off (out of the box) on this baby like jet....no extra driver installation needed at all.

When i obught it two years ago, $370.

Feel lucky. My Aspire 5512 had to be send to repair after 3 months as it got vertical stripe of lighter colour (very common with acer loose chasing), hard disk at least once a week triggered blue screen for disk scan (Acer claim that HDD is OK). Just 1 year, after manufacturer warranty expired, hinges give up (Acer examination stated inappropriate usage, excuse me??? At that point I had no scratch at all from inside or outside and hinges give up because of weak material used by company for what they been later criticized. When laptop returned from repair there been scratches, thanx for careful handling). In 2nd year network card give up, because it was part of mother board I couldn't use PCMIA card which any other product would had no problems to do therefore I had to pay hefty charge to get mother board changed. Now in the 3rd year graphic card gave up it is is part of mother board so there is no chance to just swap it.

My decision, no repair I will just sell it for spare parts. Thing to remember, never-ever-ever buy product from Acer. Amen

Hey Peter, I am really sorry about what happened to your laptop. I was planning to buy another acer extensa though, but now I am starting to have some second thoughts (seriously...). I know that the aspire serries targets the casual home user...but even then, that is a pretty poor performance. A friend of mine just bought an Aspire, it looks and feels rather fragile compared to the extensa. It is also quite a headache downgrading from Vista to XP...no XP drivers. But I guess the way things are going all note book users are soon going to be forced into Windows 7 if they still want to continue running microsoft OS.

Aspire which I got was little higher class (when I got it it cot me £700). Beside having at that time quite top notch CPU it had large disk (80GB was lot 3 1/2 year ago) and what was very good ATI X700 graphic card. It was later on that I discovered that ATI did not provide driver update for it as Acer did not sign contract like other manufacturers so I was stuck with buggy driver :(
So it was suitable for my studies, programming work and some random gaming...

As for your friend and choice of OS, I think Windows 7 will be better then Vista so instead of downgrading I would do upgrade. Many machines are eligible for free upgrade you should check it here. If that doesn't work for him *unix is always an option to try

Peter,
Ouch! That was quite expensive! I made a mistake about the price for the extensa though, it was more like $470, with no OS.

I am planning to get a laptop soon, I dont think I want high end type laptop...I just need a laptop that is durable. I am not a programmer, I dont consider myself computer literate! I like doing the most with the minimum. I dont do lots of video editing. I occasionally need to write a few movies eg. my kidoz birthday parties, occasionally isobust and dvd shrink some scratched dvd, very occasionally... I use nero 7 ultra for recoding etc. I rarely game on laptops. I need one which has card reader for major cards, a fiteen inch glossy display n can take 4gb ram (no more!) I want inexpensive, am sure u seen expensive cpus with double/quad cores etc runnin software not written for multi thread, and huge rams that OS cant even see! I need something very compatible with linux, esp Ubuntu. I hate mac. Any gud ideas?

Cheupe

Dell is obvious choice with their budget products, I can recommend HP (had one before acer, no faults still running my girlfriend brother is using it) and I was recently looking on Asus as I have lot of desktop hardware from them which is reliable so I was considering to give them a try.
Dell does some laptop specially with Ubuntu pre-installed, I know that some Asus models been available too, but not sure about HP. In reality you can buy any laptop and just reinstall it with Ubuntu or any unix OS

I have two family members that bought Acer computers at around the same time. This was less than two years ago; neither computer is being used anymore - they both had to buy new laptops because of crappy parts. Basically the screen completely separated on my dads and I don't know about my sister but she has an HP now. Acer = bad

Yeah, dont like em. My friend edds just wont boot at all, the keyboard and HDD died on my mate gavs, and all the usb ports died on my cousin emmas. They all had the same model. Acers support was terrible.

Acers support was terrible.

Have to agree with that one hands down. While my wife's Aspire 6930g notebook has been a delight for her to use (is one of the high-end models), ran into their "support" team (if one could even call their offerings support)

Was looking to upgrade the BIOS, pre Win7, to ensure max compatibility... Acer "support" refused point blank to either give the nod, or advise on difficulties I was having on actually applying said updates (the most unuser-friendly BIOS upgrade utilities I've encountered to date). This left two options:

• Struggle through flashing the BIOS and viod the warranty
  • Leave as is and risk incompatibilities

Given Acer's rep for faulty hardware, was forced to take the latter option, but was certainly left with a bad taste in the mouth. Will not be buying another of the wares!

I had some bad experiences with Acer laptops (my very first laptop was from acer) so I normally will not recommend them.

I would not recommend acer to you mate. Seriously they are near the bottom in my list. I would suggest mac for you but i any case if you want a PC that runs windows, go for HP or Sony.

I would suggest mac for you .

Other than the fact he wants something low-cost, doesnt do any video editing, wants a card reader, and most importantly, hates macs

I've been planning to buy the Aspire 4736-742G32Mn, but based on what I just read from some of you, I'm having second thoughts. Does anybody here own the same unit? Are the specs up to par? Here are the things I'm planning to do on it:

- Play Diablo II LOD
- Watch movies
- Listen to music
- Study Photoshop CS2
- Download torrents

It's supposed to come with Linux pre-installed, but the actual unit in the store has no OS so I'm just going to bring an XP Pro installer when I buy it. They'll also install all the Acer software free of charge.

I want to buy a Laptop. I found a ACER laptop with these charaterisctics. 120GB HHD, 2GB ram, AMD dual Turiom 1.6, card graphics 348 mb. price 660 dollars Some people have told me that ACER laptops are bad. Anyone have experience with those laptops.?

I want to buy a Laptop. I found a ACER laptop with these charaterisctics. 120GB HHD, 2GB ram, AMD dual Turiom 1.6, card graphics 348 mb. price 660 dollars Some people have told me that ACER laptops are bad. Anyone have experience with those laptops.?

If actually read previous replies you wouldn't have to post this...
Or perhaps it was lame way of showing you signature link. Either way spammers or ignorant members do not last long here.

The Acer brand is alright but for individual laptops, look at their specs.

guys anyone bought an acer of late . want to buy one from USA notebooks which i need for plc programming. is it a wise idea

Does Acer laptops endure 24 hours and 7 days a week?

Does Acer laptops endure 24 hours and 7 days a week?

Depends on what you do with them. Mine's been up 24/7 for the last year, ever since I turned it into a print and file server and never use the keyboard, screen, DVD drive, etc. etc. any longer.
Before that it was rather unstable.

i think acer computers are very good because i bought one this week and it has been the best 2 days ever i love my acer laptop u should get one!

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone looking into buying an ACER currently, I bought one back in March of this year. I bought an ACER Aspire 5532. 3GB ram and 160 gb hard drive. The only complaint I have with it has nothing to do with ACER but with Windows 7. I don't like how much it thinks for itself. I have used ACER before and also Gateway and Compaq. I can't tell any distinguishable difference other than price.

i bought an acer aspire 5534 for 400$ cheep yes i know but for the price is a great deal haven't had any problems most all had it a year works great on games.
if your getting it for other resons then go ahead overall i think acers work great well inleast my acer does had no problem and when i need to reinstall my windows 7 i just go into the recovery adv recovery and reinstall right there ^^
amd athlon processor
ati radeon hd3200 graphics
4gb ram
250gb harddrive
dvd super multi dl drive

am yet to use one.

They are!! NOT. I hate their marketing strategy just to make you come back to them.

because when you want to reformat, you can't and you just have to go to tho them pay them to do it because they don't give the Drivers when you buy their laptop. that why IT SUCKS

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.