Hello,

I like to ask about free directory submission with NO FOLLOW link good or bad in terms of SEO if we submit our links to them. I saw some directories that have No Follow links and some directories have free regular links.

My questions are:

1. Why no follow links? do we get any benefit on our site if we submit to these types of directories?
2. For directories that offer free regular links, how do we know that they offer real free links? or hidden NO FOLLOW links?

Thanks,
Have a nice day!

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

No Follow Directories are no good as the main purpose of submitting your website to a directory is to get a backlink. IMO it is sheer waste of time an energy if you are doing submissions in the directories with no follow. You won't get any single benefit from such submissions.

Here's is a very good tip to detect the nofollow links of a website.

Bookmark any webpage and name it as "NoFollow" . Next open your bookmarks again and right click your newly saved NoFollow bookmark and click Properties.In the URL field paste in this code:

javascript:var a=document.getElementsByTagName('a');function nfc (){for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if(a.rel.toLowerCase() =='nofollow') {a.style.backgroundColor='#f00';a .style.border='2px solid #000';a.style.color='#fff';}}}nfc ();

Ignore all errors and click save. Now when you visit any site simple click on the bookmark and all nofollow links will be highlighted in a red box.

Google will give first priority to the DOFOLLOW links to crawl first thats why we first do do follow submission not to No Follow submission.

Avoid directories that add nofollow tag to links, the main purpose of submitting to a directory is for additional backlink, so if its no follow then it doesn't worth the effort.

Yes, I do agree with WebDave, Web directories with No Follow links are useless, we don't get any kind of profit from them, submitting them is totally waste of time. Not all the web directories are No Follow, only 1 or 2% are nofollow directories.

Google will give first priority to the DOFOLLOW links to crawl first thats why we first do do follow submission not to No Follow submission.

Do you mean then that NOFOLLOW links get second (or last) priority? So that--say theoretically--all of the DOFOLLOW links are crawled, the Google goes on to the NOFOLLOW ones?

Do you mean then that NOFOLLOW links get second (or last) priority? So that--say theoretically--all of the DOFOLLOW links are crawled, the Google goes on to the NOFOLLOW ones?

The NoFollow links are of no use because the rel="nofollow" tag is made to indicate the search engine robots "Not to crawl the hyperlinks in the body of this document".

So, though the search engine crawls the content the links will not be crawl and cannot be counted as a backlink.

1. Why no follow links?

Nofollow attribute are added to certain pages of your site which are less important. This helps control the flow of link juice (PageRank) through your site pages thus helping in search engine rankings.

Great information to share with and I gonna take care of tall these facts

Hello,

1. Why no follow links? do we get any benefit on our site if we submit to these types of directories?

Thanks,
Have a nice day!

becauz they don't want to be made advantage of
not want to be the target of spammy

Here's is a very good tip to detect the nofollow links of a website.

Bookmark any webpage and name it as "NoFollow" . Next open your bookmarks again and right click your newly saved NoFollow bookmark and click Properties.In the URL field paste in this code:

javascript:var a=document.getElementsByTagName('a');function nfc (){for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if(a.rel.toLowerCase() =='nofollow') {a.style.backgroundColor='#f00';a .style.border='2px solid #000';a.style.color='#fff';}}}nfc ();

Ignore all errors and click save. Now when you visit any site simple click on the bookmark and all nofollow links will be highlighted in a red box.

i will just add ondofolloe addson in my Firefox
:)

Nofollow directories are useless because the main purpose of directory submission is to create backlinks for the website but if any directory use "Nofollow" it produce no juice from it.

in terms of SEO --NO
in terms of traffic --Yes

and i was wondering if getting traffic can be part of SEO or not ,to be exactly

There are no SEO benefit from this type of directory listings. However we can accept little traffic from directory if the directory is most popular one.

SEO applies to Google, Yahoo, Bing and all the other
For Google No follow backlinks do not help your Search engine optimization. However the other two do not seem to distinguih between do follow and no follow.

With regards to your second question, it is easy to find out if the outbound links from free directories are do follow or no follow. Read banish no follow

Nofollow is Google / Yahoo's attempt at stopping the buying/selling link business by encouraging publishers to use nofollow on all links that they sell and then convincing the industry that nofollowed links don't carry any SEO weight.

The "legitimate" reason that they exist is because a link on a page is considered a "vote" for the page being linked to, and the search engines wanted to give publishers a tool to help the bots distinguish between publisher-contributed links and user-contributed links (blog comments, etc). They also recommend to the industry that all links not endorsed by the publisher should be nofolloweed by the publisher ... which, in turn, includes comments, advertisement links, etc.

We do know this is the authentic reason the search engines had for creating the nofollow attribute, and how they intend it to be used. However, "nofollow" is just a suggestion and not a rule. In other words, when we as publishers using it, we are "suggesting" to Googlebot that we didn't post the link on our website ourselves, but we aren't giving Googlebot a strict rule to not follow it. In other words, it's not like a robots.txt file where we can specify pages on our site not to crawl which all search engine spiders are supposed to always obey.

We also don't know exactly how much of a role nofollow means in the actual ranking algorithm, and what else comes into play. However, I have seen significant SEO improvements exclusively through nofollowed links!!!

2. For directories that offer free regular links, how do we know that they offer real free links? or hidden NO FOLLOW links?

View the html source of the page and see if the link is nofollowed or not. If you can't find a link directly on the page, it probably is through a redirection service or JavaScript and doesn't get any SEO benefit at all (or a tiny bit).

If at this time dofollow directories aren`t the best choice to make a good SEO campaing, imagine if they are nofollow. I prefer bookmarking and article marketing.

... I have seen significant SEO improvements exclusively through nofollowed links!!!

This is very interesting to me. If 'nofollow' means that Google will not follow the links, transfer PR, or chart the anchor text; And you have no other links coming to the page/site (or any sitemaps established), How could this impact SEO?

If i had to guess, they must be accounting for the citations and user traffic. I'd love to hear others take on this...

Its great and knowledgeable site but if u want to know what In a complex world of Information Technology and “technology upheavals”, enterprises feel the need for aligning their business objectives with security for optimizing profits. The threat of information collapse for enterprises and ultimately the much intertwined destiny of survival are at stake. TechnoTera.Com offers enterprises a strategic mix of information security consulting services, web and programming solutions. Subscribing to TechnoTera.Com services platform is the difference between enterprise success and failure, innovation and mediocrity, security and threat, entity and non-entity, progression and regression, education and ignorance.for more information visit http://www.technotera.com.

After reading all this I have a conflict in my mind. I checked my google webmaster account to see the list of back links there I sea few links which google crawled and when I checked those links they were with NO FOLLOW attribute. Then why google crawled them ?

After reading all this I have a conflict in my mind. I checked my google webmaster account to see the list of back links there I sea few links which google crawled and when I checked those links they were with NO FOLLOW attribute. Then why google crawled them ?

Google does not show all backlinks pointing to a website. If you want to learn whether or not Google crawled your directory listing, copy a snippet of text from the listing description (hopefully it is unique), paste it into the Google search box, throw some quotes around the snippet and [Search]. If you see your listing in the search results, then it was crawled, indexed and counted as a citation.

I think directories with "nofollow" waste your'e time ....
And with "dofollow" is very useful to increase traffic website ...

Thanks

It's true that we don't get any backlinks from Nofollow links but it's true that though the links are nofollow but the links generate traffic for the site that we are going to submit.

hello, yes, we know that nofollow doesn't help in link building but as per my practical research i gotta say , Google's spider crawls such nofollow links , i don't know why, so that i'm myself much confident some way to taking nofollow link wit do follow . .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.