At the recent E3 Expo, both Microsoft and Nintendo announced plans to include the Facebook Connect app on their handheld game systems. Is there no escape from Facebook? And what will the reaction of parents be if, and it is more likely when, Facebook connect starts carrying advertising aimed at the young gamers?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I actually have opted out from Facebook Connect from many websites. Why? Well, I want to keep some activity and don't want my "friends" to know I was shopping or playing games. Thus, I can see a parent wanting to know if their children played the games, especially if they are connected as friends via Facebook. On the other side of the game, advertising for gamers is inescapable. Even the games itself have some form of advertising.

I actually have opted out from Facebook Connect from many websites. Why? Well, I want to keep some activity and don't want my "friends" to know I was shopping or playing games. Thus, I can see a parent wanting to know if their children played the games, especially if they are connected as friends via Facebook. On the other side of the game, advertising for gamers is inescapable. Even the games itself have some form of advertising.

Agreed but if the advertisers know that they can get to kids throught the gaming systems they can target them in invasive ways. Think Joe Camel.

Well....everyone is looking for traffic and customers so as these advertisers I think...but we just have to wait and see how far it goes.

Also those gaming system are quite addictive which entice the users to buy the full version. :)

the concern for parents is that they have a 50/50 chance of monitoring their kids computer use as most adults are computer literate. I have tried to get online with my daughter PSP and she can do it but I am lost.

You could find few gaming sites which are especially designed for kids, I would suggest to keep away kids from violent games.

You could find few gaming sites which are especially designed for kids, I would suggest to keep away kids from violent games.

While I agree that keeping kids away from violent games is a good idea, the original concern I had in my original message was that kids using the new versions of the portable game systems will have facebook available on them and it will be harder for parents to monitor what content is getting to their kids in terms of advertising.

My own daughter just established a restricted facebook presence (she is 13) and she is on their chatting with friends and playing games. But one of the ads that popped up on her account was for a shirt that suppresed man-boobs. The bigger problem was that the picture in the ad showed a man wearing one of these shirts and also speedo-type underwear. I sent an e-mail to facebook to complain and I am waiting to see what the response is. If she had seen this on her portable gaming system in her room behind closed doors instead of in the family room on our main PC I would not have known about it.

While I agree that keeping kids away from violent games is a good idea, the original concern I had in my original message was that kids using the new versions of the portable game systems will have facebook available on them and it will be harder for parents to monitor what content is getting to their kids in terms of advertising.

My own daughter just established a restricted facebook presence (she is 13) and she is on their chatting with friends and playing games. But one of the ads that popped up on her account was for a shirt that suppresed man-boobs. The bigger problem was that the picture in the ad showed a man wearing one of these shirts and also speedo-type underwear. I sent an e-mail to facebook to complain and I am waiting to see what the response is. If she had seen this on her portable gaming system in her room behind closed doors instead of in the family room on our main PC I would not have known about it.

Well.....this is not in favor of kids as you said....I am really scared to expose my kids to internet when I see things like this. But how far can we control them....that is the question.

I read a report today about the growing power of Facebook in the e-commerce world and how it poses a serious threat to Amazon. Thus, to answer your question, yes, Facebook is becoming very invasive in more ways than imagined.

Well.....this is not in favor of kids as you said....I am really scared to expose my kids to internet when I see things like this. But how far can we control them....that is the question.

They are our kids and we are not there to be there friends but to protect them and teach them about the world. We can control them as much as we need to as long as it is done in the right way. In terms of accessing the internet, the final say on what my daughter does rests with her mother and I. So she will never have a portable gaming system that affords her internet access without our oversight.

I just read on Mashable that Facebook is not offering the functionality to simultaneously update your facebook page and tweet. The invasiveness grows.

Yes, and to be honest, when I see this option pop up on my Gmail screen and other sites, I decline. Why? Because I still want some privacy.

You can't get away from the opportunity to update a "what are you doing right now" scenario. Besides Twitter and Facebook I have seen similar options in Yahoo, there is one in linkedin and in wordpress based blogs as well as linkedin you can display your twitter status. And as I do not have a phone with apps I am blissfully immune to the need to update everyone from my phone.

Facebook is invasive
Facebook is spyware
Facebook is ruling the internet
Facebook sucks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.