It took me a little bit of frustrating time to figure this out yesterday, so I thought I'd post it in case other people ran into the same issue.

I set up PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN) and thoroughly tested it in the sandbox environment. Everything worked fine. However, when switching over to real PayPal, it stopped working and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my code.

PayPal actually has IPN disabled by default while the Sandbox environment has IPN enabled by default. Be sure to change this setting in your profile.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

However, when switching over to real PayPal, it stopped working and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my code.

When you switch over from demo Paypal to the real Paypal. There shouldn't be an issue.

When you submit the payment and it didn't go through.

It will tell you the message on the website and also it will email and tell you why it didn't go through.

You have to test the real Paypay before it's active.

You can cancel the real transaction in your PayPal account.

Since you got it working and everything is fine.

Thanks for sharing the IPN enable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.