Been doing a lot of research on this issue but I can't get it to work properly.

I have this CSS code that works in all browsers except for Internet Explorer.

border-top: 3px solid rgba(139, 0, 0, 1); background-color: rgba(139, 0, 0, 0.75); color: rgba(139, 0, 0, 0.75); text-shadow: -2px -2px 0 #FFFFFF, 2px -2px 0 #FFFFFF, -2px 2px 0 #FFFFFF, 2px 2px 0 #FFFFFF;

Basically what it does is the color of the text is the same as the background color so it is kind of "hidden" but text-shadow makes it somewhat like an outline that shows the outline of the text. Of course, everything has to work except for Internet Explorer since it does not support text-shadow. I tried using filters, dropshadow and shadow, to try to get the exact same result in Internet Explorer as it shows on the other browsers but the filters seem to apply to the entire div container instead of the text iself. Can somebody help me out on this? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I've looked over those websites before. The closest filter to an outline is the Glow filter. Problem is, if I apply a background color, with some opacity, with a Gradient filter then the glow is applied on the border of the div container and not the text itself. Without the Gradient filter, the glow works on the text, even though it's nowhere near as good as text-shadow.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I've looked over those websites before. The closest filter to an outline is the Glow filter. Problem is, if I apply a background color, with some opacity, with a Gradient filter then the glow is applied on the border of the div container and not the text itself. Without the Gradient filter, the glow works on the text, even though it's nowhere near as good as text-shadow.

Are you using CSS on IE or CSS3 on IE? There's a big differences. CSS3 doesn't work well on IE while CSS you need to adjusted it.

CSS on IE. I have no CSS3 styling for what I'm trying to do.

everything has to work except for Internet Explorer since it does not support text-shadow

as you mentioned in your first post... text-shadow is a CSS3 property not supported by IE.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that I'm not using CSS3 for getting this to style in Internet Explorer. I'm creating a conditional stylesheet that will use filters in place of the text-shadow property for Internet Explorer only. Anyways, I got something to work so there is no point in continuing this topic.

got it... Ok, well glad you found a solution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.