Kindly suggest me some good books to set my foothold on html&css. Recently i got a book "Head first to html & css"but it contains lots of silly exercises and jokes and kinda repetative. Is the missing manual series good to go by? HTML4 or 5 ?
There are a pleathora ot books out there dealing in "web design". Does it mean training on html & css or only wireframing for webpage.I'm glad i found daniweb.
Secondly which code editor other than notepad is good for typing your code in. I heard a lot about sublimetext on forums.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I work in a microsoft shop, and I can't sing praises for visual studio express enough. Some people don't like it, but it's super simple in my humble opinion.

As for books... html and css is pretty repetitive... so the books you got are getting you in the right direction.

Going through the w3schools tutorials are never a bad thing, and simply trying things on your own and seeing if you "can" do it because you're interested in it will go a long long way.

The wonderful part of personal code that you are learning from is that if you break it:

1) no one is likely to see it
2) you can try goofy stuff without fear of "breaking" something other than layout/colors/etc...
3) if you are truly interested in it, you will learn and grow.
4) you will beging to know what questions to ask, and by reading though forums like DaniWeb you will understand what everyone is talking about.

I read through answered questions all the time just to see solutions and see if it's something I had never thought of, or just to see if I was spot on with how I would have handled the same situation.

Books are fine for starting and getting a general idea. Doing, practicing, and owning your own code will help you develop your skills and become comfortable enough to rarely look at a book ever again (and instead, learn to google it like the rest of us :-P )

I recently got a book from the local library The complete Idiot's guide to HTML5 and CSS3, which covered the topic well but did not really cover the use of these for Mobile compatability, which is what I was looking for. Apart from this the 'for Dummies' series are often recommeded for computer topics and are worth looking at.

I recently read the "The Definitive Guide to HTML5" from Apress. I really enjoy the Apress books.

With regard to an editor, I'm also into ASP.NET development so I find Visual Studio to be the best IDE. If you are only going to be working on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, you could use Visual Studio (there is a free version you can download), but it would be an overkill.

Many people like Notepad+ for plain HTML.

I kinda need a rating of 1-10 books individually if possible on individual subjects, especially for beginners.

Best book personally is "Learning Web Design" 4th edition Jennifer Niederst Robbins.For HTML5 anf CSS3 I would give it a 9/10 but for JScript I would give it a 3/10. Not enough material for JS. Book solutions are included also.

Best book personally is "Learning Web Design" 4th edition Jennifer Niederst Robbins.For HTML5 anf CSS3 I would give it a 9/10 but for JScript I would give it a 3/10. Not enough material for JS. Book solutions are included also.

I also recommend this book, which is really very helpful. I have used it and found it is very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.