I had similar issues. I went to CMD prompt and did a winsock reset, and it corrected my issues for temporarily. I also had a wireless connection, that would constantly go local. I moved the computer closer to my router and went copper. Now, when I am on the network, some applications such as ZUNE says I am not online. IE sometimes also tells me I am offline, retry or stay offline. I say retry and it opens my web page. I finally completely removed my wireless card, and again did a winsock reset and still had issues. I ended up reloading VISTA and in the process found a vista driver for my VIA GigabitEthernet controller and so far, it looks like things are working ok, though it could just be that re-installing the driver did it. Vista Networking has some bugs me thinks.

I am at a stand still myself on this matter.

Back on page 6, another user pointed out all of the things that you can do to TRY to get back online... This issue start back on the FEB build of MS Vista and MS is still working with it.

I eventually gave up and just returned my notebook to the place I bought it from since it became a $2k paperweight. I have searched for the last week dozens of forums and no one has found a perfect fix for this except for cross your fingers and hope that MS comes out with a fix on their SP1.

Its all a crap shoot. you can try static IP, you can disable IP6v, you can try entering your DNS, you can disable your DHCP broadcast, you can update your drivers, you can restore your computer, you can uninstall/reinstall stuff. Basically what it comes down to is that there is no guranteed fix for any of this. My notebook would come back online local and internet after being in local only for hours for no apparent reason and then just drop off and back into local only for no reason and there was no certain way to get it back online. This goes for both the Wireless and the normal Cat5 wired. Although with it being plugged in to CAT5 i did have more success at it being online after reboots but only 25% of the time.

I talked to several computer dealers in town today and they all agreed its a craps shoot for Vista and wireless networking and have been unable to repair alot of the computers that they are seeing. So if you get a chance get a dual XP/Vista machine or just stay XP til MS resolves this issue.

Keep posting folks on if you get any suggestions that work for you.

Well, not sure of the reliability of this, but I called netgear after another forum said the saw this problem when the routers were gone bad, and they said they have seen this alot, and its the router. For me its all my network devics that are effected but the Netgear tech said that when I told him my router came from Fry's electronics that for some reason they had seen alot of problems with the boxes from Frys. They are sending me a new Wnr854 router so we shall see.

Hi all,
I just bought a Toshiba laptop, took it to work and all and even though my wireless connection at home works, i just could not get it to work once i got to work, i searched the net and all like all y'all, still nothing, i even connected to a 10/100 ethernet cable, nada! I got it to work though on the dumbest stuff ever:
I went to Network and Sharing Center, saw the option for Internet Options, i then went to Connections, LAN Settings and the Automatically Detect Settings was unchecked. After checking it i was able to get online? Could it be that Vista engineers forgot to have it checked by default? Anyway check it and see if that works for you.

techakone

It's almost 3am and after a good 5 hours of trying to sort this exact problem out on my LG Vista laptop, it finally works. Thanks for the advice!

Steve

So..its been two days and my wireless is still working better than ever. Caterina..what I did was disabled IPv6 and assigned a static IP address. I used 192.168.1.200 for the IP. 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask. and 192.168.1.1 for default gateway and 192.168.1.1 for DNS server. Try doing that? Thats what worked for my after a week of trying everything else. Hopefully it works for you.

Found the issue on my AR350E to be network discovery.. turned it off and everything is working smoot now even after restarts... can't see other computers on my network but its worth it up and working

I have a Vista PC with an ASUS P5B-MX/WiFi-AP Motherboard with built in wireless. I am using it in Access Point (AP) mode. I have the modem plugged in to this computer.

I can get on the internet on this Vista PC.
I can connect to this Vista PC network from an XP PC (with signal strength=excellent) but the XP PC cannot access the internet.
I am using Virgin Broadband.

This is my ipconfig:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 Wireless Network Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-AF-13-C6-32
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:522a:ea68:8:34f2:ef8:1832:4984(Prefe
rred)
   Site-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fec0::8:34f2:ef8:1832:4984%2(Preferred)
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:522a:ea68:8:ad8c:e92c:79ba:29cf(Pref
erred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::34f2:ef8:1832:4984%8(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%2
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%2
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000B
ase-T Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-9E-77-12
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::805c:f95c:5a42:6c0c%9(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 82.42.234.104(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 July 2007 12:48:42
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 August 2007 18:01:45
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 82.42.234.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.0.121
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887826
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.0.39

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{CEB942E0-2917-49CD-89DB-6475730B0
1C8}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::200:5efe:82.42.234.104%13(Preferred
)
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.1%16(Preferred)
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%2
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4136:e390:73:68a:add5:1597(Preferr
ed)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::73:68a:add5:1597%10(Preferred)

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:522a:ea68::522a:ea68(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

C:\Users\owner>

I had to totally reset my Cable Modem.... WEll eMTA (Multimedia Terminal Adapter.) It does Digital Voice & Internet. So I had to pull out the power, take out the Battery (8hr Battery backup on Phone). Then all was recognized.

I just also changed my router to a wireless router. So I had to Reset it again to day. So Done Done & Done!

cabodave,
your solution worked for me--at least for now--thanks for being there

I am using a brand new toshiba a135 laptop with Vista Basic installed. Ok, I have been having the same problem with Vista wireless as many other people. I have been looking throughout the forums for and answer all to no avail. Please help. I was able to connect on my home networks wireless but now at the free public wifi I keep getting "connected" but with local only access. My brothers windows vista laptop connects to the same network just fine-with both local and internet access. I also often get Unnamed networks but i don't know if thats related. What I really want is to get connected via wifi. Thanks in advance. Here is my ipconfig /all info:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Patrick-Mobile
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E3-EA-FA-A5
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.112.57(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:03:09 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:03:09 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.112.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.112.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.94.156.1

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-96-5F-10

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{12EF36AB-9B0A-43A5-AB0B-8A765FC5C
E92}

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.hr.cox.net

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{0E2B020E-80F5-4FA5-AEE2-2AE119C7A
50D}
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.112.57%13(Preferred)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.94.156.1

Well in my previous post I put that turning off network discovery helped but it was a temp fix :( but for the last week i have been trying different things. I have DHCP Broadcast turned off. Whats ironic is that it does not matter if it is on or off but switching between the 2 and then waiting for up to 2 min will force the computer to go online. Its odd... So when i go somewhere like starbucks or the airport and i see local only again i just go to my regedit and change the 0/1 dhcp broadcast around and exit and usually within 30 seconds it hops online. I also bring up firefox browser to force the network to search for an outside connection but not sure if that helps or not.

I just can not wait til SP1 comes out. This is an ongoing issue that not even MS has fixes for because its so intermittent.

Hey guys,

I tried most of the things in here to no avail, i how ever have just gotten it working.

I'm running a linksys Wireless G w/ speed boost, sorry i cant remeber the revision number.

I did a reinstall of the driver from Device manager. Right clicked the device and checked delete the driver software for this device. Windows then picked it back up and did a generic Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter driver install and i tried to connect and it flew through in about 10 seconds with internet working.

If you are going to try this option i highly recommend that you try and get your hands on the proper driver from your manufacturers website first before deleting the old one just incase it doesnt work.

I have no proof that it was the driver causing the issues, it was how ever the one that windows downloaded on its own for it.

hope it helps,

Patrick

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Router and spent hrs trying many of the suggestions in this forum to get my new Vista laptop onto my wireless network and internet. What finally worked for me after viewing help files from Linksys' site was this note:
NOTE: Make sure Display characters is checked, to display the WEP/WPA key being used by the router.

Make sure you enter the wireless network’s WEP or WPA key NOT the Passphrase.

I have TCP/IPv6 disabled. I do not have a static IP address on laptop.
Hope this helps someone. I know it's a frustrating process.
Pat

Hey Folks,

Just like everyone I have the same problem with my laptop (vista home) not able to connect to internet both thru ethernet and wireslessly. It is getting really frustated. My wireless card detects the connection but its only connected to local i.e. not able to connect to internet.

My home setup as follows : WRT54G linksys router. Have 3 other laptop which uses XP PRO and they are able to connect to the internet. But the problem only lies my vista laptop (home edition). My wiresless in WEP enable either.

Well below are the methods I have tried so far since the problem has occured:
1. Disabled the IPv6
2. Tried renewing the ipconfig in command prompt (as an admin)
3. Assigned Static IP address/submet mask/default gateway
4. Assigned a diff DNS server as well
5. enabled/disabled the wireless card and rebooted - multiple times
6. uninstalled the wireless card and re-installed it
7. turned off the auto tuning as well
8. made new network connections - manually
9. Reset the cable/modem etc as well.

Any other methods or help is greatly appreciated. I have wasted soo much time in this. Planning to go XP PRO if i cant get it dissolved.

Thanks a million
-S

Thanks for this list, I was about 2 seconds away from posting the same. I've also tried:
10. Edit registry to add DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle (1) to Hkey_Local_Machine\System\currentcontrolset\
services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces\{}
11. Disabled all firewalls (Norton, Windows)
4b. Changed DNS to OpenDNS settings (see opendns.com)

Mine drops at almost exactly 30 minutes from restart. I am convinced this can be fixed with a toggle/value in the registry, we just have to hunt it down. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

BTW, mine also worked flawlessly for the first two weeks, and then suddenly started the internet drops without anything being changed.

Hey guys,

I tried most of the things in here to no avail, i how ever have just gotten it working.

I'm running a linksys Wireless G w/ speed boost, sorry i cant remeber the revision number.

I did a reinstall of the driver from Device manager. Right clicked the device and checked delete the driver software for this device. Windows then picked it back up and did a generic Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter driver install and i tried to connect and it flew through in about 10 seconds with internet working.

If you are going to try this option i highly recommend that you try and get your hands on the proper driver from your manufacturers website first before deleting the old one just incase it doesnt work.

I have no proof that it was the driver causing the issues, it was how ever the one that windows downloaded on its own for it.

hope it helps,

Patrick

Hi Everyone,

I signed up for this community so I can share how I resolved this 'local access only' issue on my Windows Vista Home Premium System. I currently have the following setup:

Rangemax NEXT Wireless Adapter WN311B
Rangemax NEXT Wireless-N Router WNR834Bv2

I had absolutely no issues with my internet access until I did a Windows Update for the first time and installed the latest Netgear driver for my wireless network card. This was part of an 'optional' upgrade that came with a list of about 28 (d'oh!) patches.

I don't have the driver version but the name of the update was:

Netgear Communications Inc. Networking sofware (sic) update released in November, 2006.

After my system rebooted and I could no longer access the internet, I tried all the steps that everyone has listed above (IPv6, etc...) to no avail. I just simply rolled back to the default driver for my wireless NIC: Broadcom 8.211n Network Adapter Driver Version: 4.82.28.56 and have no problems since.

Hope this helps,
T

Like the post above, I thought I'd help the google searchers with my "fix" for this problem. My new HP laptop worked flawlessly for an hour until I decided to mess about with setting up a wireless network between my old and new laptops to transfer files. I used the wizards, didn't get it working and gave up. Went back to using the internet only to find the dreaded "Local Access" only on my wireless connection.

I was about to try the fix suggested in a previous post of turning off
IPv6 when I accidentally clicked on the properties tab for IPv4. I noticed it had DHCP turned off, so turned it on and hey presto - instantly fixed.

I realise that there are some more deep seated and varied technical issues with Vista and this "Local Access" problem, but my problem was a simple button not ticked.

Hope someone else can fix their problem with this quick Properties check.

I'm pretty sure,for the majority of the folks experiencing this issue, it's just a matter of the Wireless connection setting up an extraneous IP address (Auto IP configuration). I ran back through the steps, and IPConfig print outs, I took to fix this issue and came to the conlclusion that the PC tries to assign a wireless Ip address that doesn't fall within most commercially sold routers' Ip configuration scheme. I'm thinking that this may have been a security precaution on the part of Microsoft (or just a fluke). It would prevent the PC from automatically connecting to a wireless network without the users input on intial boot-ups.

More than likely, ensuring DHCP is enabled, and turning off automatic IP config would remedy this issue. Granted there may some folks with much more deeply rooted problems, but hopefully this thread helps some very frustrated Vista users.

ok so I am one of the horde daniweb nubs that found this thread through a google search. I have had a vista laptop since february and hadnt had a problem with my connection up until now. I just spent the last three hours trying various methods on this forum and others and just found the solution.

its a variation of the netsh junk that needs to be entered into the cmd prompt. My problem apparently had something to do with the Receive-Side Scaling (RSS) also. Don't ask me what that is because I dont know. But none the less type into the cmd prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled autotuninglevel=disabled
You should get an OK message.

If you dont, and it tells you you dont have access, reopen the cmd prompt as an admin by right clicking the program in the start menu and clicking "run as administrator." Now enter the netsh comand again and you should get the OK message.

Now, almost done. Right click your network connection taskbar icon and click "diagnose and repair." This should fix everything. Afterwards repairing it will automatically change the autotuninglevel back to disabled. I don't know if this means that the problem is fixed for good or that I will have to reenter that command again every once and a while.

Hope this helps out some other people. What a nuisance... and just when I was starting to like Vista. :confused:

It's official: ericisshort is a god. Tried your suggestion on my wife's new Compaq 5139 and, after a pause of a few minutes, the internet connection settled down for the first time since she bought the machine two weeks ago. This means a) my wife is happy and b) I don't have to sit for hours in front of her computer trying to battle with vista's awful dialog boxes. It still takes the machine a good four minutes to recognise the wireless network, but once it has, it's solid. For what it's worth, I also had mistakenly entered our home network as Public, so I changed it to Private; I also changed the network name from (vista default) Workgroup, to (xp default) MS HOME; for good measure, I also turned off hibernate as it seemed it could have been one of the reasons for the internet connection being dropped.

Two questions: Why did MicroSoft change the xp winsock that worked, to this rubbish, and who would ever want "local access only" anyway?

Had the same problem descibed by others - tried all the suggestions, reset the router - WEP On-Off etc.

Finally I looked at the 2 TCPs the 6 and 4 - I have a core duo processer so this is why there are 2?

One was not set to obtain IP and DNS automatically - corrected this and now it works.

Perhaps it was a coincidence but I was on the road last week and connected to the TPA and MCO airport systems - perhaps this is where it got reset - have not had a problem in the 2 months prior to this.

But just to get in the Bill Gates bitch - how can they make so many changes and make the world have to figure out how to do their work?

Vista implementation is going to have big time implications for all of us.

Bummer, I've tried all of the suggestions but still no joy. My situation is slightly different in that I am having the problem with my desktop PC that us connected to the router via ethernet. Twice now, after a clean install to a new partition and loading the Vista driver for the ethernet card, the network comes up. Then, after downloading whatever updates Vista wants, the connection goes to Access: Local Only. I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite and I can see an indication of traffic but don't know what or to where.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

hi
yes having a firewall behind a router is a bit of a trouble.but local access deppends on

certain factors..one is ofcourse firewall n other could be a faulty router or the inability

of ur ethernet card to grab an ip address frm the router.. well the solution for this

depends on certain situations.. try one of these i m sure it will work

best way to check if its a firewall issue or not try connecting anyother computer without a firewall n check if u can go online.. or else uninstall the firewall in ur computer n check.. if yes then its a firewall issue.. fi not then then probably some issue with the router call the concerned tech suport or ask me if possible i ll help

#considering the situation that its a firewall issue thats preventing the access#
1) firstly u need to know if u really require a firewall on ur computer. or not coz if u r

connecting ur computer to a router, most of the routers have a built in firewall of hteir

own infact all of them, which is quite strong since they r designed to give connection to a

lot of computers and it has to be a secure connection.. incase u r using a linksys router

go ahead and uninstall zone alarm..and just have the anti virus on the comp coz the router has a firewall of its own and further

havig a firewll wil block it frm connecting..

2) if u really need a firewall uninstall n reinstall the zone alarm n while reinstalling u

ll come across a step where u ll be asked to choose how u connect to the internet... there

s an option which says via a gateway.. select that.. a gateway means a router...

3) now this step depends whether u r getting a valid ip address frm ur router or not...
to check this click on start.. in the start search box type cmd hit ok.. the black command

pronpt will open.. where the cursor is blinking type ipconfig..and hit enter.. u ll see

ethernet adapter local area connection and it network specifications... look for ipv4

address if it starts with 169.x.x.x (x stands for any no) or 0.0.0.0 or there will be no ipv4 address listed .then its an invalid ip .. however if u r getting a valid ip address then below that u ll find something that says default gateway.. take that address down... thats the default ip address of ur router.. i ll give u an example how it looks(its just an assumption the ip could be anything)
ipv4 address: 192.168.1.100
subnetmask : 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1 (this is what u need to note down)
now in the same black box type in this command:
ping ip of default gateway (which according to the example is: 192.168.1.1) n hit enter
i.e. for this example ping 192.168.1.1 (and enter)
if u get the following:
Reply frm ip of the default gateway four times and says ping statistics-- packets sent 4 lost 0, 0% loss, then it means ur able to communicate wiht the router..and ur firewall is allwing the router but not beyond it
now try :ping www.yahoo.com
if u get : reqest timed out . pingstatistics.. packet sent 4 received 0, 100% loss that means u r not able to go out of the router..
for this :
now double click on the zone alarm and on the main page u ll find a drag down bar for internet security.. drag it down to low and apply the settings

now in case u r getting request timed out while pinging the default gateway itself that means the firewall is not even allowing the router.. for this:
open the zone alarm icon go to the tab called zones and down at the bottom u ll find an option which says add.. when u select that it will give u an option for ipaddress select it n for the ip address type the ip of the default gateway.(this will add this ip to ur trusted zones) and also drag the internet security to low.

anyways try this first n let me know. these r all the possible steps for dealing with a firewall issue. but as i said if its a router, best is to remove all the firewalls and just have an anti virus on the computer. Thats more than sufficient.
however as i said before trying u need to diagnose if its a firewall issue or not, so try the very first step, n if its not a firewall issue let me know, ill tell u what to do..
dont worry ur issue will definitely get resolved :0)

Thanks so much for the quick response. One thing I left out of my original post is that I've installed Vista in a separate partition and can dual boot with Windows XP Pro. Everything works fine under XP.

I will try the things you propose in the order you've presented them and let you know of the outcome.

o well good u told me..
hmm now if u have zone alarm installed in xp aswell then it obviously means that if u probably do the same settings in vista it wil work.. there s been a lot of problems in vista..
it has been a common observation in vista that it does not pick up the ip address properly
.. see its a fairly new opoerating system and there r a lota bugs in it.. wait for a year n then start using vista... if u have x sp2 now thats the best to use

Well, my face is very red!:$ The first thing I did was remove ZoneAlarm Security Suite and reboot the system - the internet is working fine. I've used ZoneAlarm for several years on 2000 and XP but I guess the Vista version is not yet ready for prime time. I really appreciate your assistance. I've been in the computer game for too long a time but this is my first interaction with a discussion site. Hopefully I can repay you by being of assistance to someone in the near future.

no problem dude.. :-)
but see to it that u do install an anti virus .. thats very essential

btw.. if ur into gaming i guess u must be aware of firewall port no.s
these now. r forwarded on a router inorder for a prticular game to work..
do u know the port no. for nintendo ds.. or atleast where can i find them

Unfortunately, I'm not into online gaming nor are any of my computer literate friends so I can't even ask them. I'm not even sure where one would go to find info like that except back on the web - so I'm not much help there either. Sorry...

Hi there all,
I have been reading through all the posts and I have tried everything that has been suggested, to no avail. I will try my best to outline my exact problem, in the hopes that your experiences and expertiese may help.

I am have just upgraded from WinXP Pro. to Vista Ultimate. My wireless isn't working any longer. I have grudgingly accepted this. However my network card was working fine, I could access my router and the net with no issues. This mornign I ran windows update, and that is when my problems started.

I am connected to my router, withing the Network and Sharing center I can see my private network, where it says I have local and internet access.

This is where it gets wierd :'( :
When I try running Firefox, Opera or even IE, I get the following:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Yet, if I in the Network and Sharing center I click the Set up a connection or network and from there click "connect to the internet" I am told I am already connected to the internet and if I click browse now, it opens a IE window from which I cna browse.

But the rest of my issues remain. I can not open another browser window or use any other application / game to connect to the net.

I am at a loss as to what to try now. I don't have a firewall running, my wifes latop (running XP) works fine both through wireless and wired connections. I can even ping out to the net:

C:\Windows\system32>ping www.hotmail.com

Pinging www.hotmail.aate.nsatc.net [212.162.1.124] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.162.1.124: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=55
Reply from 212.162.1.124: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=55
Reply from 212.162.1.124: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=55
Reply from 212.162.1.124: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 212.162.1.124:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 42ms

Below are the results from running ipconfig /all in the hopes they may help.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Alien
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : WAG54GS

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WAG54GS
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-F5-4F-CE-9F
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 September 2007 22:05:37
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 20 September 2007 22:05:37
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.94.190.194

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WAG54GS
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.101%15(Preferred)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.94.190.194

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4136:e38c:3cb8:3c20:3f57:fe9a(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3cb8:3c20:3f57:fe9a%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.WAG54GS

Any & all suggestions would be great, and I am happy to try them all, as I remain unable to do anything usefull from my laptop.

hi
look if u r able to ping anything in the internet and as according to results of the ping. u had shown,,. it looks fine... this means that the internet is working fine.. connectivity is there.. however there could be many reasons for the pages not getting displayed..
mostly its due to ur browser settings.. u need to optimize ur browser..
try this
open IE..click on tools-- click internet options-- and delete all files, temporary folders, history and everything,,
now on the same internet options page ull find a tab on the top saying connections..
click that n then down at the bottom click lan settings,, see to it that nothinng is checked under lan settings,,
now open a new browser.. it should work.. most of the time it fixes the problem.. if this doesnt let me know.. we can try something else

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.