Ok, I've had a look through ths forum and tried several of the suggestions including 1. Manally changing the TCP/IP settings (I don't know if they are right, I'm just copying them from the status bit of the router set up) 2. Adding the BroadcastFlagToggle entry to the registry as per the microsoft support article. 3. typing that stuff into the CMD prompt above. 4. Changing the broadcast channel. 5. disabling ipv6 6. aimlessly tampering with the settings of both laptop and router. All with...

NO RESULTS!

I thought today with upgrading to SP1 it would solve the problem but NO!

I have a one year old Acer Aspire 3690 with a Atheros AR5005G adapter. The router is a Cable & Wireless ADSL 2+ which has no info about it when you google the model number.

Funny thing is, my housemate is able to get his mac connected, I can get my work laptop which has XP on it connected OK. I've taken the Vista laptop out to pubs and cafes which it's be able to connect both on open and WPA connections. It seems this router just doesn't get on with Vista.

Have you any other suggestions.

Thanks in Advance...

I've gone through this whole thread, and I still haven't found a solution to my problem.

The fun started last week when a friend called to complain about her HP laptop running Vista Home Premium. She has two ISPs (one for home and the other for her office; she has her own business). She has two laptops, one running XP and the other running Vista. Both of her computers work (both wired and wireless) on her home router. However, her Vista laptop got "local access only" when she tried to connect wirelessly to her office router. We contacted the ISP, and the technician said it was a Vista problem and to disable security and/or install SP1. I brought the computer home with me, and it connected effortless to my Apple Airport Extreme. I downloaded all the Vista updates and installed them, and I'll return the computer on Wednesday and hope...

In the meantime, I got a call from a colleague whose Hp Pavillion running Vista Home Premium refuses to connect either wired or wirelessly. Both connection types give "local access only". I've tried about everything in this thread, including assigning a static IP, connecting directly to my modem, and installing SP1. I even tried removing the battery and unplugging the system for a while. Nothing works.

As I still have my friend's working (on my network anyhow) laptop, I compared the network settings with the settings of the laptop which doesn't work. The working laptop has IPv6 enabled, and DHCP enabled. I can't see any configuration differences, but one system works and the other doesn't.

The only possible clue I have is that a friend of my colleague installed Avast on my colleague's system. When the computer restarted, it got a BSOD, and my colleague "removed" Avast. I don't know if he uninstalled it properly or just deleted the files. I do know that in days gone by, there was a big hole in antivirus protection between the time when the network came up and when the antivirus software was running, and I think that the vendors tried to remedy this by blocking network access until the antivirus application was running. I'm thinking that perhaps Avast blocked access, my colleague removed the product, and now access can't be unblocked. After I send this, I'm going to reinstall Avast just for the hell of it...

I really don't want to reinstall Vista from scratch, because it will be a major effort to reinstall my colleague's applications. What I'd like to do is to wipe the network configuration clean and let Vista reinstall it. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

I just registered to maybe help someoue out with this problem.

I've gone through this thread and tried the numerous suggestions. But I believe I have a fix, well for my scenario anyway.

I have 3 computers connecting wirelessly 2 XP, 1 Vista. XP connects fine but Vista didn't.

My vista client would connect to the network with a strong signal, but local only and would not get a DHCP IP address, and would revert to a autoconfig 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. I'd put in a manual IP address and it would work fine, but I wasn't happy with this and was pulling my hair out for a couple of days restarting computers/routers, removing wireless security, re-installing network drivers etc etc.
In the end I simply did a "ipconfig /renew" from a command prompt and hey presto I got a DHCP address. :)

The DHCP on my router (year old Belkin) had a lease time of forever. So I'm presuming Vista was trying to get it's original IP address and because I had been restarting the router, it's IP had been given to something else, so vista reverted to an autoconfig address.

Fustratingly whenever I do a "ipconfig /renew" I always do a "ipconfig /release" first so when I tried this days ago, the release wouldn't work requesting elevated privilges, so never tried the renew.

Anyway Hope this helps someone out there.

btw- I have now set my lease time to 2 days on my router.

This should help some people; the lease problem is probably why resetting the router has fixed the problem for some.

Unfortunately, there seems to be multiple causes for Vista network problems. In my case, neither a wired nor a wireless connection works, and I've renewed the lease, reset the router, and connected directly to the modem without success...:-(

I love my new Mac!

Restarting the router didn't fix it for me. specifically running the renew was key for me

Sadly, that didn't help me. I've done everything short of sacrificing a virgin. However, it would be easier to reinstall Vista than to find one of those around here...

Hi..
I have Windows Vista Enterprise laptop given by my company.I have a wireless router in my home.I am able to connect to internet in my office via wireless connection but I'm unable to connect to internet in my home.

btw.. its dell laptop and I'm able to connect to internet via static I.P.
But it's not catching Dynamic I.P.

I've been fighting with Vista since I got it to connect wirelessly to my router with no results. I've followed this thread for some time, trying most of the things contained within. Tonight I stumbled upon a solution that I wanted to share.

Router: Netgear WGR614v5

I tried with no security and WEP security for a while, but tonight I changed my security to WPA-PSK and it magically worked, no more LOCAL ONLY!

Other things I tried include the registry fix, disabling IPv6, statically assigning an IP Address, among other things.

Hopefully this helps someone... try WPA!

Well, after trying all of the above with no results, I noticed when looking at the IPCONFIG, the physical address of my ethernet nic was all zeros. So I pulled the nic out of the laptop and wrote down the physical address stamped on the chip, then went into device manager and hard coded that address into the nic.

Since you all helped me greatly, I registered just to post my fix.
This is a really nasty problem and in my case wasn’t necessarily Vista’s fault. I tried all the suggestions in this topic and none worked to restore networking / Internet. When I let Vista diagnose and repair the problem, I received a response that included the following text:
Filter Name: Symnetdrv Firewall filter OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4

Neither my wireless adaptor or my Broadcom 440x 10/100 adapter would connect with anything other than the infamous “Access: Local Only”
A search on the above ‘diagnose and repair’ error took me to a thread with the following information that fixed my issue:
I'm happy to report that the free removal software Norton provides has fixed the problem. The software can be found at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton2008.nsf/docid/200708290847...9?Open&

Run the software to remove all files associated with Norton.
I reinstalled Norton and it is also working fine now. Hope this helps some desperate soul!

I don’t know if this will help anyone, but here goes my story about the “Local Access Only” issue and the fix for me at least.

Acer laptop, in use for about a month.

While using it, this problem cropped up on both the WiFi and physical LAN.

Restore useless as was all the other fixes I have seen listed.

Here is what fixed it for me.

I followed the instructions listed here: http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/20-Fixing%20the%20local%20only%20internet%20access%20issue%20in%20Windows%20Vista

IP6 is still enabled and all of my network information is static, not set by DHCP.

I had already applied SP1 to my copy of Vista Home Premium prior to this problem occurring. I also noticed that the registry entry covered in the “More Information” section was already in place for the wireless.

As of right now, the system seems stable and network connection is solid. Hopefully that will not change.

Like I said, I hope this help.

After hours of frustration I have a solution to the Locals Only problem that has worked for a couple of hours. I'll report again in the AM. After trying nearly all the posted fixes to little avail, I decided to uninstall Norton and disabled the "Acer Empowering Technology" program on my Aspire 5100. I now have internet and a strong signal indicated. I am not sure which did the trick. But I think Norton was the culprite, however I am not going to fool with it again until the morning.

Still woking.

hi, im a computer noob and i also have the infamous local only problem, i have a network card that works fine on my home network and gets perfectly acceptable internet access, but when setup in the same way at university it will not connect to the internet. i tried to use all the things listed in the earlier pages of the thread, with little success.
i think this is partly to do with my lack of understanding of how to find ip adresses and #dns as well as gateways.
could somebody explain in lehmans terms to me the best way to use IPv4 rather than IPv6
thanks in advance

i ve just spent the best part of a day trying ot fix this......i am no techie but this is what worked!

switched cable modem and router (lynksys wrt54gs) off left for an hour

set it back to factory defaults by pressing the reset button on the back and start it up again........the security was now disabled!

deleted every network connection i could find in manage network connections

reconected to my now new unsecured network connection..........hey presto! could have kissed the little thing

restarted the security via 192.168.1.1 new network key........

re connect enter new key.......it works!!!!!!

so far................................i'm scared to turn the computer off now!

Its a firewall issue. Had it on Server 2008 (after installing the wireless networking feature). Seems if windows firewall is set to "block all incoming connections", then wireless will not work, at least in my setup (WPA2 enterprise using RADIUS certificate server)

Uncheck ""block all incoming connections" and it works.

For those of you using Vista, you might want to check out the information at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233. Apparently Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers due to a design difference between it and XP. By making the registry change suggested in the article, my problem was solved and I now connect to the Internet the same way I did with XP. Problem solved! (For me at least)

still works!! i think Norton that came with my computer pre instaled is on its way to the data bin! i'm sure its something to do with that and its automatic update function.

it seems far to complicated anyway.

I fixed this issue with setting a static IP address, seemed to be an issue communicating between the Vista machine and the router and the address - once I had looked at the address issue it has worked, again it is only with certain routers, I have not had the issue again.

Thanks all

Hi,

I had this problem with my Vista computer (Home Premium Edition) and a Dlink DI-524 router. I tried the numerous fixes suggested on this forum to no effect. However, what did fix the problem was updating the firmware on the router (which also put the router back into its default states). Hope this is helpful.

I am having the same problem, I have tried the registry, the turn off turn on, the network thing...I am pasting the ipconfig story...someone please help.....

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\shahan>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : r-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dubaiinternetcity.ae

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dubaiinternetcity.ae
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3C-AF-2D-70
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 91.74.85.185(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : November-26-08 1:09:10 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : November-28-08 1:09:10 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 91.74.85.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.25.159.169
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 80.227.2.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
et NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-63-1B-35
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.dubaiinternetcity.ae
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:5b4a:55b9::5b4a:55b9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 80.227.2.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

C:\Users\shahan>

I have the same problem...before I read your comments I did all that you spoke of and still nothing. I checked my IP config and it is giving me a IPPIA address 169.254.0.0. Here is the funny thing..I have the Vista gadjets installed with the local weather running and it's currant. I have 8 computers running hard wired in my house and they run throught a gigbit switch which receives it's DHCP from a d-link router which is also wireless all other computers are running XP pro and are connected. I checked all of my firewalls and made changes restarted my vista machine and still nothing. I just purchased a new router (upgrade) and I am going to install that to see if that helps. I believe it's in vista somewhere! I don't like to give up on things and I have a laptop to work from so I will get back to you with my results of the new router. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

TBR!!!

you're not gonna believe this..but WIRELESS IS WORKING!!! Don't know what I did this time. But it works for now. Knowing my luck..it wont last very long.

I figured it out tonight. For me it was a problem with Symantec Anti virus. I recently uninstalled Symantec antivirus and Nortorns 2007 ( had both running) when I did this some of the program wass left behind (for lack of a better term) I downloaded the Nortons removal tool from the Symantec web site and now everything is fine again. The Big Ragu is happy!!!:)

did you uninstall any Symantec or Norton product recently?
That may be the problem
Download (from another computer) the norton's removal tool. This can be found at www.symantec.com

Good luck this worked for me tonight.

SOLUTION FOR LOCAL ACCESS ONLY:

connect your computer with wire in ethernet adapter if u have internet access with wire it will work wirelles, you just have to do this:

go to "wireless network connecton"=>"properties"=>uncheck box "internet protocol version6"=>klick "ok"

go to"control panel"=>"classic view"=>"system"=>"device maneger"=>"network adapters"=>right click on ethernet adapter and disable it, and right click on wirelles adapter and also disable it

restar your computer

go back to system=>"device maneger"=>"network adapter" right kilck ONLY ON WIRELLES ADAPTER AND ENABLE IT"

dont know why but if only wirelles adapter is enable (and ethernet adapter disable )it will get internet acces

it works for me

good luck

I too have spent 2 days tearing out my hair trawling the internet and trying every solution under the sun. Finally found one that works for me. I have a brand new HP laptop with vista. cable & wireless router working fine on xp. My vista laptop has a Atheros wireless adapter. I first connected to a wifi hotspot before going home to connect to my router at home. I uninstalled the norton trial that came on the system then tried to connect to the router - problems began. Could connect with the ethernet cable but got the old LOCAL ONLY on the wireless connection.

Here's the solution to my problem:

Click start, type cmd
then in dos, type
netsh winsock reset
then restart the computer, unplug the ethernet cable before the reboot and the wireless adapter will work.

I blame this all on microsoft! It's unbelieveable that they have absolutely no support for this widespread problem!

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Ok, I've had a look through ths forum and tried several of the suggestions including 1. Manally changing the TCP/IP settings (I don't know if they are right, I'm just copying them from the status bit of the router set up) 2. Adding the BroadcastFlagToggle entry to the registry as per the microsoft support article. 3. typing that stuff into the CMD prompt above. 4. Changing the broadcast channel. 5. disabling ipv6 6. aimlessly tampering with the settings of both laptop and router. All with...

NO RESULTS!

I thought today with upgrading to SP1 it would solve the problem but NO!

I have a one year old Acer Aspire 3690 with a Atheros AR5005G adapter. The router is a Cable & Wireless ADSL 2+ which has no info about it when you google the model number.

Funny thing is, my housemate is able to get his mac connected, I can get my work laptop which has XP on it connected OK. I've taken the Vista laptop out to pubs and cafes which it's be able to connect both on open and WPA connections. It seems this router just doesn't get on with Vista.

Have you any other suggestions.

Thanks in Advance...

I've tried everything in this thread, but here's what worked for me.
Vista has an optional update for a Marvell Wireless-N USB Network Adapter. After installing this update, I connected to the internet immediately!

To find this update, go to the Control Panel, and click on Windows Updates. From here you should be able to see optional updates. Find this update, and select the checkbox next to it to install it. No restarting required.

Hope this helps someone. I've spent two days on trying to fix this.

I'm having the same problem, windows vista, Local connection only, though so what what I have tried has not worked:

1. Disabling ipv6

2. Updating drivers

3. Disabling adapter, restarting, reenabling

4. This dhcp registry fix

Any other ideas? The following is my ipconfig when connected through ethernet but not wireless:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Riley>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bc.edu.
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::21cf:a72c:5792:a57c%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 136.167.202.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 136.167.202.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:88a7:ca0b::88a7:ca0b
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. There is mountain of information out about this problem and I am having trouble wading through it all.

same problem. Thanks for working through with it. Makes for good reading.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.