A gateway computer P4 1.3 ghz, 400mb ram, windows xp pro sp2. A wd1600BB hard drive that has been working fine for over a year. Turned it on today and had a message saying: drive read error, press ctrl + alt + del to reboot. Downloaded and booted from floppy, the WD diagnostics. No errors on the drive. Ran HDD regen program, no errors. Booted from xp cd and ran recovery console, chkdsk /r. Errors found and recovered. Still get the drive read error on power up. Drive appears configured correctly in CMOS. Attaching the drive as a slave works, as I'm able to see the apps and data. Any clues to get this drive booting on it's own, greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Sam

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,

Sounds to me as if you have a bad sector on the disk.

I suggest you attach drive as slave as you have done and copy all your data off, inclusing emails, address book, user settings, etc.

Then put drive back ibn as master and try reinstalling operating system. I suspect you may not be able to and may need to buy a new disk.

Goos luck, please let us know how you get on.

Denis

Hi,

Sounds to me as if you have a bad sector on the disk.

I suggest you attach drive as slave as you have done and copy all your data off, inclusing emails, address book, user settings, etc.

Then put drive back ibn as master and try reinstalling operating system. I suspect you may not be able to and may need to buy a new disk.

Goos luck, please let us know how you get on.

Denis

Yes, thank you Denis, recovered data, then replaced the drive. Sorry this reply took so long. I've been away from Dani.
Sam

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.