Hi I just got 2 x 2GB of RAM for X-mas. I installed this on top of my other 2 GB RAM card of the same make and model. When i check system properties, it only shows i have 3 GB of RAM. how the hell did it get that number when I have 3 x 2GB sticks in ? also, when i run cpu-z, it shows that i have 6gb, and it reads each card in the 3 slots.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

lol well that sucks. what would you recommend so that i can utilize all of my RAM ? would i have to upgrade to vista or something ?

Its a bug with all 32-bit editions of windows.

you mighty be able to use a bit more of it by putting /3gb and /pae into your boot.ini file. Google it and make sure you know what you are doing or you might trash your o/s.

You only get the maximum benefit from lots of memory if you run a 64 bit version of windows (and have a 64 bit cpu, of course) but 64 bit windiws has lots of bugs and little driver support.

all windows xp versions support /pae and /3gb

but your apps wont use the extra space allowed by /3gb unless they are compiled for it (not many things are e.g exchange, sql server) and PAE wont work unless you have a recent Intel CPU and compatible chipset. /Userva= has the same effects sort of (google it).

Even if you got a 64 bit OS and compatible CPU and drivers, your 32 bit games etc... still wont take advantage of it, i dont think.

Its just the way things are. live with it. Over 3gb is a waste unless you are running a server.

Hey Jbnet thanks for all the info ... but now what i want to know is that will Win Vista make use of the extra ram .

No. Not unless you use the 64 bit version. Just stick with XP.

XP wil run amazingly on what you have atm. No need for more.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.