0

My laptop overheated, shut down and won't power up, it has a burnt smell. This happened 4 years ago so the burnt smell is gone but it still won't power up and i'm trying to resurrect it if it is worth it, own my own. I already begun the teardown process . compaq presario 700 series cm2130. model #1456VQL1T. I was told by a couple of people that it could be the mother board is toasted. i need help narrowing the possibilties of what is wrong and what is salvageable and where is the best place to buy the parts . i'll do the math on the cost of the parts and decide if i want to retire this laptop or bring it back to life . I will appreciate any help tips ,pointers i can get on what direction to go with this project.
swausa

3
Contributors
4
Replies
5
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by forumdude123
0

4 year laptop would not have much value bro but if the mobo s fried u can get the Processor, memory, hard drive, cd/dvd drive(most likely cd drive on 4 yr old lappy though).

I d doubt even if u ll be able to get the parts for it either or use the above said stuff anywhere. U shud have done this long ago (4 years to be precise :-p), but still there is a chance that ur screen might be salvagable, keypad etc.

As far as ur power up is concerned it sounds like ur mobo is a goner. So u ll have to replace that to get it working. Its unlikely that u ll find the exact replacement but alternatives would surely be out there somewhere which might help u to get it back to life again. Then again some or most of the parts may not work with the newer mobo so make sure that everything is compatible hardware wise. Good luck.

Regards
Raj

0

Hey Raj , Thanks for your input. this laptop i bought when i was in spain on the military base in 2002 as far as i know it's all U.S. or made for sale in the U.S. I got rebates on it from U.S. it does have DVD/cd. The parts are available through Impact computers and electronics. http://www.impactcomputers.com/

0

If thats the case then i d suggest get it tested for fried motherboard and also make sure that ur battery is usable cos 4 years is awfully long time for a battery to stay alive. You might be needing a new battery, probably the mobo as well if not anything else to get it back to work. And also when u get a new mobo u can also get a few updates if ur budget allows for it. Keep it posted about ur progress dude. Good luck again.

Raj

0

My laptop overheated, shut down and won't power up, it has a burnt smell. This happened 4 years ago so the burnt smell is gone but it still won't power up and i'm trying to resurrect it if it is worth it, own my own. I already begun the teardown process . compaq presario 700 series cm2130. model #1456VQL1T. I was told by a couple of people that it could be the mother board is toasted. i need help narrowing the possibilties of what is wrong and what is salvageable and where is the best place to buy the parts . i'll do the math on the cost of the parts and decide if i want to retire this laptop or bring it back to life . I will appreciate any help tips ,pointers i can get on what direction to go with this project.
swausa

Just wondering why are you trying to get a 4 year old notebook to work when it has barely any value. If it used to have a burned smell, then it would cost more to repair/replace and assemble the parts in the old pc than to buy a new notebook.

I found a great new notebook for only 449.99. It is even brand name!! check it out on the website below.

Attachments Cheap_lapotp_1.JPG 45.32 KB
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.