my son's e-machine suddenly "died" (well, it was never really alive...). When I push the on-off button I get absolutely nothing- no lights, fans, etc. I checked the power cord, I opened up the front and bypassed the on-off switch, looked around inside for loose connectors, found nothing obviously burned looking. I even opened up the power supply, but everything looked OK. It sounds to me like the power supply burned out. Any other possibilities? A new power supply is around $50, I'm not sure it's worth spending any money on such an old computer. Any ideas?
Thank you!
Paul

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

it does sound like the powers upply issue to me as well but the decison to get a new one would have to be yours. If this computer does have a good purpose for yourself or your son then it ll be worth it but then again it could be something else. Can you not get it checked as to make sure that you dont spend on the power supply for nothing? Take it to local shops as they shuld be reasonable with looking at it compared to high street stores who ll cost you arm and leg and then some.

$50 for powers upply would nt be that much if it is what needs replacing to get it back up and running.

Raj

it does sound like the powers upply issue to me as well but the decison to get a new one would have to be yours. If this computer does have a good purpose for yourself or your son then it ll be worth it but then again it could be something else. Can you not get it checked as to make sure that you dont spend on the power supply for nothing? Take it to local shops as they shuld be reasonable with looking at it compared to high street stores who ll cost you arm and leg and then some.

$50 for powers upply would nt be that much if it is what needs replacing to get it back up and running.

Raj

Well, I found a new power supply for $23 on e-bay, put it in, and it's working great! It's even a higher wattage model than the original. Thanks everyone!
Paul

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.