hey guyz,
well i am quite new to the geeky thing, i have got a intel 845GLLY motherboard and 256 gb of ram with p-iv 1.8 GHz processor. i need to know that if i can increase my ram to 1 gb, is there be any problem in the performance of my machine or i have to get the upgraded processor and motherboard.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Here are the specs on that board, it should be able to support up to 2GB of 133 mem

Intel Desktop Board D845GLLY - motherboard - micro ATX - i845GL
General
MPN: BOXD845GLLY, KD845GLLYLPAK10, BOXD845GLLYL, BLKD845GLLYL, BLKD845GLLY, KD845GLLYPAK10

Product Type: Motherboard

Form Factor: Micro ATX

Width: 23.4 cm

Depth: 20.8 cm

Compatible Processors: Celeron, Pentium 4

Processor Socket: Socket 478

Chipset Type: Intel 845GL

Max Bus Speed: 400 MHz

BIOS Type: AMI

Storage Controller: ATA-100

Max Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Processor
Installed Qty (Max Supported): 0 ( 1 )

Memory
Supported RAM Technology: SDRAM

Supported RAM Integrity Check: Non-ECC

RAM Installed ( Max ): 0 MB / 2 GB (max) - DIMM 168-PIN

RAM Technology: SDRAM - non-ECC - 133 MHz, SDRAM

Supported RAM Speed: PC133

RAM Features: Unbuffered

Video
Graphics Controller: AGP - Intel Extreme Graphics, Intel Extreme Graphics

Video Memory: Shared Video Memory (UMA)

Audio
Audio Output: Sound card - PCI, Sound card

Signal Processor: Intel 845GL

Sound Output Mode: Stereo - 20-bit, Stereo, Stereo - 16-bit

Max Sample Rate: 48 kHz

Compliant Standards: AC '97

hey guyz,
well i am quite new to the geeky thing, i have got a intel 845GLLY motherboard and 256 gb of ram with p-iv 1.8 GHz processor. i need to know that if i can increase my ram to 1 gb, is there be any problem in the performance of my machine or i have to get the upgraded processor and motherboard.

Really depends on your operating system and what you are using your computer for.

Regardless, 256MB of RAM is quite low. These days, RAM is very very cheap; I'll bet if you look around (try newegg.com) you can get 2GB of RAM for ~$60, maybe even less, and that will give you a very nice boost, especially if you force your kernel into memory (we can show you how to do that too, but don't try to do so until you have at least 1GB to work with).

If you're not doing anything too intensive on your PC (like gaming, graphic design, etc...), your processor is probably decent enough, as long as you go get some more RAM (can't stress that enough....256MB of RAM is just enough to get your system up and running and use a couple applications. Your system is probably using a lot of "virtual memory", which is a bad thing and seriously slows down your pc; and can be avoided for the most part by simply adding more RAM).

i just get it to 1 GB today only, well, now your directions regarding forcing my kernal into memory are welcome. thanx.

Pretty sure the location is the same in both XP and Vista-

Click on Start button, then Run.
In the run box, type regedit and hit enter. This will open your registry editor.

Next, click the following....
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > ControlSet001 > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management

Once you reach Memory Management, you will see in the right side column a file named DisablePagingExecutive. Right click on that and choose Modify. In the value data field, change the value from 0 to 1.
Hit okay, then close regedit, and that's it!

Also, think you will need to reboot, since it loads the kernel into memory at startup.
So next time you turn on your computer, you should see a modest improvement.
It's been my experience that you will see more improvement on an entry level PC than you will on a pc that's already pretty fast...but either way, if you have memory to spare, this is a great way to use it.

i did this, i have 2GB of ram...and it doesnt do any damage does it? what are the risks?

ill probably find out after i restart my computer...

There's no risk of physical damage or loss of data or anything like that...it's just a technique to maximize your resources.
You may or may not get a noticeable improvement, depending on your gear, etc...
but even if you don't get a big jump in performance, it's still good to do when you're trying to squeeze out every last drop of performance.

ok, thanks...im all for tweaks to make my system faster...even though mine is the fastest ive seen so far...lol

nice...what what are you running?

I have a q6600 quad core, 4GB ram, nvidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB....

Just put in an order for a Biostar mobo, 4GB OCZ PC2-8500, 500w PSU and a Scythe fan that I'm going to rig onto my heatsink.

Hopefully I can get the q6600 up to 3.3 or 3.4 GHz with this setup....

im running AMD Athlong 64 x2 3800+, 2GB ram, nvidia GeForce 8500GT 256MB...not much...

ahh...thats cool...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.