can anyone help
i have got a toshiba satellite pro 4200 that i got from ebay.
it had windows 98 on it well i got a xp disc and put it on worked fine went on internet etc
well later that day turned it on the toshiba sighn comes on then at the bottom it says press f2 for the boot device selection if i press that nothing happens?

if i have pressed it a few times then it says IDE#1 error
then it says disc error
press any key to restart

if i press anything it justs repeats
disc error
press any key to restart

sometimes (dont know what i press
it says press c to start cd rom or f for fdd to start and b for built in HDD and d for default system setup devise but it doesnt matter what i press it allways goes to
disc error
press any key to restart

any idears what in can be its realy peeing me off

any idears please
thanks chris

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hi,

Your hard drive might have been crash...

Start a new installation and see if you able to format you drive.

i dont know how because it doesn't matter what i do it allways goes back todisc error
press any key to restart
disc error
press any key to restart
pleeeaaassseeee someone help

Try the XP install disk, just to see if it recognizes the Hard Drive. If so, re-install.
If not, your HD is likely dead and needs to be replaced. It's possible the IDE connection is loose, but not likely.

yes tryed to put windows disc in from start and also from when it says c for cd etc then it goes to disc error press any key to reset

Replace your hard drive....:)

check on your hard it might have crashed

ok now changed harddrive and it is doing the same except when i press load from disc it comes up with NTLDR missing press ALT CTR DEL to restart
i know what it means the teck loader but what the hell can i do now AGGHHHH

yes ok but the thing is how do i get the NTLDR on the laptop

Have you installed Windows?

ok now changed harddrive and it is doing the same except when i press load from disc it comes up with NTLDR missing press ALT CTR DEL to restart
i know what it means the teck loader but what the hell can i do now AGGHHHH

There are several reasons why you get such error messege.

Either the CD from which you are trying to install WinXP is not bootable?
Maybe the NTLDR file is corrupt and not making the CD to boot?
Maybe the CD has some problem, try using this same installation CD in other computer and if it works there than it means there is something wrong with your CD-ROM .
Otherwise your CD is the problem. You than should use a new CD in working condition.

Please note that when you geting an messege of IDE#1 error, you should check your BIOS setup properly. Maybe another drive eg.DVD/CD-ROM is set to IDE#1 and your BIOS is configured to boot from that drive?

yep tried my windows disc works fine in desktop so isnt that.
i cant get into my bios settings you see.
all that hapens is at first it says TOSHIBA press F2 for boot options if i do or not it then does nothing for about 2 min then goes black screen says IDE#1 ERROR then it asks if to boot from c to start cd rom or f for fdd to start and b for built in HDD and d for default system setup devise then if disc in or not i press c then the disc wizzes round then it says NTLDR missing press ALT CTR DEL to restart. and thats about it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.