Hi All, I was wondering if anybody has ever had this problem. My desktop can stay turned off for up to 5 weeks at a time. When I go to boot up, I get the "ex...Gateway Logo" but then it sits there for about 10 minutes before it will continue to boot up. After several days of being turned on, it will stop doing that and boot up normally. Is it possible the battery is bad?? I have checked settings in F2, when I can get there and temp, battery power all look good. Anybody got any ideas?? I have installed the OS several times and at first I thought maybe the disk was bad and requested a new one from the vendor but after sitting turned off for 5 weeks I get this problem. I did one time leave the power supply plugged in while I was away and did not have this problem. Is there some capicator that needs to stay charged up for the BIOS?? Any ideas welcome.

Tks,
Impala_dan

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There is a condition called "cold solder" where the connection wont transfer electricity until the connection warms up. My guess is when you leave the power supply plugged in, it retains enough heat to not have this problem. When you leave it unplugged, then it loses all of its heat and takes a while for the connections to warm and then continues to boot.. This usually happens on motherboards, which would explain it just sitting there with the Gateway logo.

My solution, don't unplug the power supply :)

Cheers,

~Mike

There is a condition called "cold solder" where the connection wont transfer electricity until the connection warms up. My guess is when you leave the power supply plugged in, it retains enough heat to not have this problem. When you leave it unplugged, then it loses all of its heat and takes a while for the connections to warm and then continues to boot.. This usually happens on motherboards, which would explain it just sitting there with the Gateway logo.

My solution, don't unplug the power supply :)

Cheers,

~Mike

Thanks for the Reply,
I always worry about the heat in the house and lighting strikes, that is why I usually leave everything off. Guess its either on and quick boot or off and wait a few days until the
'cold solder" heats up. Thanks Again :)

Rgds,
Danny

I agree with beastmanh. this is a common issue. as he said, unless there is lightning, leave it plugged in.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.