Hiya all

mobo - Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
chipset- Intel P4 3.2GHz
ram- 2 x ram slots with Transcend 1GB single-sided in each

My local dealer upgraded my ram with above-mentioned ram chips. After experiencing startup problems (mouse and keyboard inactive after startup), I went onto the Gigabyte site and drew the specs for my mobo. I quote as follows:

Memory:
1) 2 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2 GB memory)
2) Supports 1.8v DDR DIMM
3) Supports DDR2 533/400 DIMM

Note: Use of a Double-sided memory module (the single chip is 512 Mbit) is required if you wish to install a 1 GB memory module.

Now, probably the single-sided ram chips are the cause of my problems??!!
Back to my dealer, he's never heard of Double-sided ram chips, and is having difficulty sourcing them.

Can you help with particular ram modules, manufacturers, dealers etc. or other advice :S
Also, most ram now is 667MHz, will this work in the 533 slots?

Many thanks an' all

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

SLYD;
first of all, you might want to check if the ports of your K/B and mouse is working fine. It will be best if you can test with a spare keyboard. Anyway, have you been using the K/B d mouse since day one, or did you changed your K/B and mouse after the upgrading of the RAM Memory? Besides that, I can't think of any good reason that can explain a RAM Memory module is affecting this issue.

And also, your mainboard can support only 533MHz/400MHz Bus-Frequency RAM. try not to use 667MHz Memory,it might cause you incompatibility issues on your mainboard.

Keep me updated, once you tried out the steps. Thanks!

Regards
Shean

Hiya all

mobo - Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
chipset- Intel P4 3.2GHz
ram- 2 x ram slots with Transcend 1GB single-sided in each

My local dealer upgraded my ram with above-mentioned ram chips. After experiencing startup problems (mouse and keyboard inactive after startup), I went onto the Gigabyte site and drew the specs for my mobo. I quote as follows:

Now, probably the single-sided ram chips are the cause of my problems??!!
Back to my dealer, he's never heard of Double-sided ram chips, and is having difficulty sourcing them.

Can you help with particular ram modules, manufacturers, dealers etc. or other advice :S
Also, most ram now is 667MHz, will this work in the 533 slots?

Many thanks an' all

Hi Shean
I have tried alternate k/b's and mouse (no change), but there are other startup errors as well......
Tx
slyd

667 isn't backwards compatible to 533.
you can get a 533 DIMM. my suggestion is take your computer so someone competent and tell them to upgrade it for you. any Tech who hasn't heard of double sided ram should not be working on a computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.