Hello, long time no see.
Anyways, I want to build a gaming rig and for that I have already choosen some peripherals already except for ram, processor and cooling equipments.

Here is the list that I will be purchasing for intense gaming (also wouldnt mind if anything different from this list suggested):
ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel
GIGABYTE -GV-NX98X1GHI-B
DVD Re-Writable - DRU-845s-W
Seagate 250 GB Hard Drive
Corsair TX650W Power Supply

Now, I think the board and graphic card is enough for any game to be played, but which ram, processor and cooling equipments would be able to handle this type of specs and would be also for high end gaming. Also my budget is till 70k - 80kbut wouldnt mind to increase it to 1 lakh. Need your opinions very urgently. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Mainly graphics card is the major thing for gaming.one should have gfx cards such as nvidia 8600gt,8800gt.

The 'GIGABYTE -GV-NX98X1GHI-B' is a 9800GX2, is that right?
They're a nice card, but I personally don't like the X2 types as some games (mainly older ones) don't utilise both boards. That said they're still a really nice card and do outperform the GTX280 in some things. Myself I bought a GTX280 which I'm very happy with. There's new NVidia cards coming out before christmas (supposedly) that are a GTX280 with higher clocks and more & faster RAM. But you can always wait for the next big thing and never buy anything :)

As for processor, the E8400 seems to be the one everyone's going for. They're a dual core at 3GHz stock, and you can overclock to 3.6GHz easily, 4GHz is not uncommon. Personally I went for a Q9550 which is a quad at 2.83GHz stock because 4 cores will be good in the future (I won't be buying again for a while). For gaming at the moment though, nothing really uses the extra 2 cores (rumours are that Far Cry 2 will use all 4) so that's why everyone goes for the E8400.

For cooling I use a Noctua NH-U12P which is a beast, I love it. Other good buys are the Zalman 9700 and the Tuniq Tower 120, both of which probably look better than the Noctua (Tuniq would cool the best). New on the scene is the Cooler Master V8, which looks nice, but I don't know how well it works (perhaps google a review if you want one). Every man and his dog will recommend a Thermalright 120 Black, but I've heard some of them are not all that flat, which is a worry.

RAM: you only really need 800MHz RAM. I got 1066 RAM so I can really let loose with the overclocks in a few years, but it's not really necessary at the moment. I like the Corsair Dominators and the OCZ Reapers. I've also heard very good things about Mushkin RAM. Best to check the ASUS website for your mobo's supported RAM. Other RAM will probably work (my RAM isn't on my mobo maker's list) but it's piece of mind to get one on the list.
Oh yeah, get 4GB (2x2) if you're going to use a 64bit operating system. If you're only using 32bit, most of the extra 2GB won't be used.

Get a good big case for good airflow. No point getting a great system and skimping on the case. The new Cooler Master HAF looks nice, as does the Antec 1200.

I ended up reading lots of reviews before I bought my stuff, which was quite helpful. Let me know if anything I've said sounds stupid, or you've got any questions. Best of luck with it :)

Oh, I should have mentioned, I don't like ASUS motherboards these days. MSI are turning out some good ones lately so I'd look at them. This board is an X38 while this one is a P35.

For an NVidia chipset go EVGA, but that's only if you want 2+ graphics cards (I got a 780iFTW so I can get another GPU or 2 later). Otherwise stick to an Intel chipset as they do overclock better.

I do go on a bit don't I? Sorry about that ;)

I wont be overclocking it as it is going to be a new build and I dont want to stress at the very beginning. And for the card that you have mentioned, GTX280 is not available in our local market.

Also, I am not very comfortable with any other boards cause I am addicted to Asus. If any other board in Asus series is given then I will prolly go for it which should be in the same specs as well keeping in mind.

And for the processor I guess the Q9550 would be an overkill but I still want it in the Quad series as I wont have to upgrade later for this.

Ram suggestion looks good enough for me.

And for cooling and case, I would go for what is suggested.

Thanks for the help

Yeah that's a fair call :)

The cheap quad is the Q6600.
For the new series, the Q9450 and Q9550 are exactly the same, it's just the 9550 has 8.5 multiplier compared to the 8x multiplier of the 9450. But right now a 3GHz dual core does game better than a 2.6GHz quad.

Just be aware those 2 cases are very big and designed for airflow, not silence, so take that into account.

I can't recommend highly enough googling a few reviews of any component you're looking at.

Oh yeah, this site's got a few tech heads. Post up a list of things you want to buy and they'll give you some good tips.

Yeah that's a fair call :)

The cheap quad is the Q6600.
For the new series, the Q9450 and Q9550 are exactly the same, it's just the 9550 has 8.5 multiplier compared to the 8x multiplier of the 9450. But right now a 3GHz dual core does game better than a 2.6GHz quad.

Just be aware those 2 cases are very big and designed for airflow, not silence, so take that into account.

Oh yeah, this site's got a few tech heads. Post up a list of things you want to buy and they'll give you some good tips.

How many years do you think this E8400 would be able to handle the new upcoming games, cause it is rite now an age of quad cores and after that prolly the nehalem's :P

Also, this cheap quad q6600 would be enough to outperform graphics things and all?

But anyways, Thanks for the headups, and also for the links.

Cheers

Thats amazing... thanks for the info. i was about to post a similar one. thanks again!

Admins/Mods, to whomsoever it may conern, I dont know, but somebody is trying to spam with my id. I havent posted in this thread but as per the result it seems 2 days ago someone spam through my id.:( :X

Maybe someone is using your pc?

Maybe someone is using your pc?

Thank you for your reply, but I alone use my computer and nobody else does. Hence, Pm'ing you about some information that i want to get about it.

Post # 8 does look a bit out of place

yeah, hence asking for the ip address of the post #8 and #9 made cause then i will check whether it matches with my ISP's ip address or not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.