hello ,my Compaq V2000 model is melting the power cord where it plugs into the motherboard ,laptop still works ,any ideas as to why it getting hot enough to melt/soften the plastic tip and finger grip of the power cord .

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Does your fan exhaust near the plug? Also, you can blow out the air vents and elevate the rear of the laptop during use.

Does your fan exhaust near the plug? Also, you can blow out the air vents and elevate the rear of the laptop during use.

no it more that that its melting the power coard where it pluggs into the power jack on the back of the laptop , thanks anyway

sounds like the power jack is bad/shorting out

The jack is shorting out, the most likely culprit is a capacitor in that area (on daughterboard) or in the power section of the laptop. The ground side of the board is not pulling up enough current, so it's getting hot because of the low resistance at the jack negative contact (the outter ring).

I'd estimate you have about 15-45 days of use left, then to the shop it goes - but it will be stone dead - No Lights - No boot

+1 I agree.

It's amazing that the laptop lasted long enough to melt the plastic! Usualy a capacitor just blows out and you get nothing after that. There is an off chance that it could be the AC Adapter as well. Power from the wall could be dirty causing the AC Adapter to retain too much and overheat. Hmmm, that might not melt the end though. Most likely motherboard.

thank you all for your rplys ,the laptop is still able to function ,althought it not being used right now as i bought a new one ,its my daughters and she is in univirisity and nees one bad ,so i jsut bought a new one ,will have a look at the old one next time she come home .
as for power cord it melted the first one ,then fugged up a cheap[65.00 cdn ] universal one i bought ,and now the latest one [a new generic for the compaq].melted also ,and also heated up a friends plug as well,just try to charge it enough to get some school work off it ! .

again thank you

I started having the same issue with my computer around Thanksgiving the powercord melts at both ends..the base of the power connector going into the computer and ont the other end at the base of the connect from the ac power unit.. computer runs fine but i replaced the ac unit just to have the new one do the same thing on my HP Pavilion
dv6500

I started having the same issue with my computer around Thanksgiving the powercord melts at both ends..the base of the power connector going into the computer and ont the other end at the base of the connect from the ac power unit.. computer runs fine but i replaced the ac unit just to have the new one do the same thing on my HP Pavilion
dv6500

its likely caused by the power jack that is souldered to the laptops motheboard

Here is the root cause of the problem. THe DC input jack has a fractured solder joint or center post has a loose swage connection. In both cases, the loose connection creates a high resistance and as the laptop demands power from the charger, it creates excessive heat at the loose connection. This is the same type situation that occurs when aluminum wiring in homes is used. I have repaired laptops and found this to be the case in every situaiton. Pomeroy Computing (http://www.pcrepairhelp.net/) can replace the jack for about $100 whereas a computer repair shop will only replace the motherboard for several hundred dollars.

Couldn't somebody with enough knowledge of soldering just resolder the connection? Im having the same issue out of mine. Same model, too.

The problem is you have to replace the connector since heating up issue is from the behind of the broken post at the 90 degree angle that goes to the board. Another place is http://www.powerjackrepair.org (chicagoland area) to fix the broken power jack.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.