Not all stories can have a happy ending...

Yes, they will have no problem filashing the BIOS back up...

Happy Holidays..
Paul

Thanks so much, did you ever figure out if my model has a dual-BIOS or if the BIOS chip is soldered?

I just talked to HP and they said that the BIOS chip was embedded in the motherboard, and the entire motherboard needed replaced. The motherboard will be $550 to replace, and I think that it is stupid that everything is embedded in the motherboard, but I am willing to pay the extra money to have it replaced, being the fact that it is a good, reliable notebook. In the future, when this computer gets a little slow for my programs I think I am going to buy a Dell or Alienware, but I am not sure...anyhow, thanks for your support.

There are alot of places that will pull it off and put on a socket then flash the chip for alot less money...

You can always ask for the old board back...
Although they will probably want it as a core..
Then replace the $5 chip and resell it for $500

Send it away for repair as a spare...

I agree, Dell makes a great laptop/notebook

I have two of them...

$550 for a motherboard? wow thats kinda steep. :eek:

Hello,

The BIOS chip is soldered on this model. This is the same as a Presario 2500. We've repaired about 4 of these systems in the past two weeks.

The problem is in the Winflash utility I'm starting to think.

We can remove the chip and place a socket on the board to allow services such as Badflash.com or Us to re-program the chip should it happen again.

There is work involved here, it's not free. It's going to cost you about 1/4 of the price of the new board.

Joe K

AQS Computer Services
http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

aqs12@adelphia.net

I just gave it to someone that works on laptops that I know for sure can fix it. He said he would overlook it and fix the necessary problems. He charges around $75/hour and includes the charges to fix the machine.

I'll get back to you on the diagnostic.

Hello,

The BIOS chip is soldered on this model. This is the same as a Presario 2500. We've repaired about 4 of these systems in the past two weeks.

The problem is in the Winflash utility I'm starting to think.

We can remove the chip and place a socket on the board to allow services such as Badflash.com or Us to re-program the chip should it happen again.

There is work involved here, it's not free. It's going to cost you about 1/4 of the price of the new board.

Joe K

AQS Computer Services
http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

aqs12@adelphia.net

Finally! I have the exact same problem. I updated my bios using the update given by Hp on their website. What the program said when you tried to update is entirely true. That bios revision is NOT for the ze5155, although the smart asses from hp say so. All you can do now is take it to someone who will take out the bios ic from the motherboard and reflash it with the correct version (which would be on your harddisk, if you let the program save a backup before the update). OR you can buy a new motherboard for 450 usd. Anyway, i took the laptop to this guy and he said he reflashed it with the revision found on the hp website for this model, but it didnt work. Now he's gonna try to look for the backup on the harddisk and i will know more on monday. If it goes well, i could email you the correct version. Good luck

adrian

oh btw, this guy said it would cost me about 100 usd :)) so i guess that's one of the situations where im lucky that i live in eastern europe lol

I realize this is sort of an old thread, but none the less I have just flashed my ZE5155 to crap and am just trying to figure it out.

First of all HP is lying when they say that the BIOS chip is integrated onto the motherboard. It isn't even on the motherboard. Believe me... I took this thing all the way down.

And Secondly the BIOS chip is removeable and is done very simply. There are 2 panels on the underside of the unit. One of them is for RAM. The other has some type of slot I believe which is for some type of modem and THE BIOS CHIP!!!

I have been trying to Hot Flash the chip using my desktop but have yet to find a .rom that will work. Has anyone determined what the correct .rom is and where to find it. The original on my machine was KD.M1.60. I have not been able to find this .rom anywhere.

When searching for the ZE5155 on the HP page I keep noticing references to the Omnibook XE4400. I am going to try to find a BIOS rom for that pc and try flashing the chip with it. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED.

I downloaded the Floppy version of the OmniBook XE4400 mounted the floppy image with winimage and extracted the M182.rom file. I then created a Flash disk using DR.FLSH form Bootdisk.com and used Uniflash. Booted my Abit mobo with the original BIOS chip got to the A:\ popped out the good chip put in the bad chip and ran uniflash. Pulled the bad chip out of the good board and put it back in the ZE5155. Everything is working fine running on the KD.M1.82 BIOS.

Hi all, here's the email from HP with the links to bios version KD.M1.82. Btw, they told me these laptops come with 2 different chipsets, KD and KE (of course that's never mentioned anywhere and they dont even bother to mention it when you download the bios version for the ZE5155..oh well). Anyway, it worked for me. Good luck.

Adrian,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

To resolve the problem, I recommend you download and install BIOS update
of version KD.M1.82 from the following Web site:

WinFlash utility:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-26813-1

ROMPaq firmware diskette:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-19605-1

The information I have provided should resolve the problem. If you
have further questions, please reply to this message. We will be happy
to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Simon
HP Total Care

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED.

I downloaded the Floppy version of the OmniBook XE4400 mounted the floppy image with winimage and extracted the M182.rom file. I then created a Flash disk using DR.FLSH form Bootdisk.com and used Uniflash. Booted my Abit mobo with the original BIOS chip got to the A:\ popped out the good chip put in the bad chip and ran uniflash. Pulled the bad chip out of the good board and put it back in the ZE5155. Everything is working fine running on the KD.M1.82 BIOS.

Hey all,

Thanks for the posts... this particular thread was helpful for me, but I am still working on my solution.

J3R3G,

I have the same problem with my ze5170.... wasted the BIOS because I applied the wrong BIOS update. I bought this used on ebay, and it has the monitor of a ze4145, but the body of a ze5170. It uses code KD, so I'm sure I need the same file... I have downloaded M182 from the links, but I need some help to run the flash. If I do a "hot" flash into another motherboard, does it have to be the same bios manufacturer? I have successfully removed the chip from the laptop, and deciding how to proceed. I don't want to use my desktop for the experiment. Any advice on a system to use for the flash?

Hey J3r3g,

Does that hot flash trick work with another HP Pavilion laptop? Just boot to the A:, swap chips and run the flash utility?

Also, can someone tell me who makes the BIOS for the Pavilion series?
If I send the chip to someone, I need to provide that info.

Thanks/

Member Avatar for rootlinux

i have the same problem, my laptop model is HP Pavilion ze5270 when i was upgrading the bios, the laptop shutdown and it could power on again. Since that the laptop is death. The bios is soldered to the motherboard. Anyone can help me, or anyone knows how to fix the problem?
:sad:

1. Have the ze 5185 removed the two screws in the back the top ones take a small flat head screw driver push lcd panel down as far as it goes and left the bezel where your power button is up ward the removed the four screws off the keyboard and left carefully ribbon cable and you sure see the battery.

2. Another way of resetting this is hold power button while holding reset button located on bottom of laptop for 10 sec removed battery and power supply cord.

Member Avatar for rootlinux

The tow ways dont work on ze5270 :( i need to reprogram the bios

Thanks for all of the great info. I have the exact problem with my ZE5155.

I upgraded to XP SP2 but after that the machine wouldn't boot. Went to HP support, they directed me to ze5155 BIOS upgrade page. There are 2 upgrades for use with Windows, neither worked, said "NOT FOR THIS COMPUTER" so I didn't run them. The next 2 are for use on a floppy. Made a floppy with the first version but got a big red sign "NOT FOR THIS COMPUTER" with that. Put the second DOS version on a floppy and booted. All seemed to go well, I got a SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED message then rebooted and ALL BLACK.

I was on a CHAT ROOM tech assist and requested a complete transcript before the crash so I have proof that the tech directed me to the BIOS that caused the problem. I haven't pressured HP to do the recover free yet but intend to do so.

I also have the complete service manual (available on support site) so will have no problem tearing it down looking for the BIOS chip if it is not where someone else said they found theirs.

The service manual says that a floppy disk program is needed once you tear the thing all the way down. I hope that won't be necessary.

I'll let you know how I make out.

This ze5155 is a replacement (refurbished) after I had a LEMON notebook that required 6 trips back to HP under warranty.

RandyOSailor
Deltona, FL

I have a KD ze5155, and have same problem (flashed, reboot, dead).

I tried hotflashing with my old computer, but it would never verify (I'm assuming just incomptabilities with the structure of each bios chip).

I ordered a replacement chip from biosman.com with the KD.M1.82 file, but it didn't work (no nothing, wouldn't even power on or the amber light on the front of the laptop would not come on when plugged into the wall).

I then had them reflash the chip with the bios on the hp website (thinking maybe it was just a bad flash and needed a reflash with the same bios). No luck with a reflash of either KE.M1.45 or KE.M1.43.

I just realized that my laptop is a KD (or atleast it says so on the serial # sticker). Because of this, I am stumped as to why the KD.M1.82 file did not work for me.

For those of you with a working ze5155 that is a KD, could you please post the bios file you used? Or could you post the backup of the original bios file that came with the ze5155?

Hello Everyone,

Just an update on the ZE5155 BIOS update failure issue. I'm not sure if all ZE5155's are refurbished models or not, but we've been seeing that when these models come in for the BIOS repair, the motherboard is cross referencing to HP Model: XE4400

Once the XE4400 BIOS is used during the repair, the system regains functionality.

I'm not sure if this holds true for ALL ZE5155's but this is what we've found so far.

Please be careful when updating the BIOS in your ZE5155 and I wouldn't go swapping model BIOS releases like we do unless you have the right equipment.

Joe Kabalan

AQS Computer Services
http://www.aqstech.com/hp.html

AS A FINAL UPDATE:

I talked to HP Total Care and was directed to one of the highest available HP Corporate positions. I talked to a lady (who I was lead to believe was up with the CEO) and she told me that the motherboard would be replaced free-of-charge. I received the laptop and after 2 years the power input began shorting. As a last resort I purchased a power input module to replace it - which required removing the old power input and soldering the new one on - (without solving the issue) so its in the trash now. Parts have been sold and I just purchased a Dell Entertainment Inspiron E1705 Notebook.

J3r3g
YOU ARE A HERO!!!!!!!! Everywhere I looked and HP said you had to replace the motherboard, BULLSHIT!!!! You are exactly correct, it's under the wireless access panel on the bottom and is in a socket!!!!! I had version KD.M1.80 and tried to update using ROMPac to version KE.M1.43 and it corrupted the BIOS, machine now dead. I'm an electrical engineer with access to a prom programmer. I took the M145.ROM binary file off the floppy created for BIOS version KE.M1.45 (the latest according to HP's support web-site and just burned it in. The programmer confirmed proper data burn in, but the notebook still will power on only and do nothing eles!!! I also am looking for the older version (original), now that I have the capability to burn the flash. DOES ANYONE HAVE KD.M1.80????

Thanks
John

P.S. If I ever get this working I can reflash your chips if you have a sst39sf040 or thereabouts. You provide the binary file you want burned and pay postage both ways and no problem, no warranty or promises.

OOPS, sorry, new to daniweb, I didn't read the whole thread. I am now going to try the KD.M1.82. I'll let you know.

p.s. this ze5155 was refurbished, when running the dos version of e-diagtools, upon boot, it said "platform name: HP Pavilion ze4000"

IT WORKS!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

KD.M1.82 WORKS ON MY refurbished ze5155 !!!!!!
got the binary file to burn using the links suggested above to get the ROMPac installer. It puts the file on the floppy as M182.ROM. I have that binary file if anyone needs it.

i have same the problem! i have HP a740.be

could you sent me the link for download that!

yes i need it 2. Will it work on HP pavilion a740.be MADE IN 2004. Could you send the download on my email or a link?

Hello,
I have same problem with ze5155 bios update.HP sent to me wrong bios version and after updating the bios my computer is booting no more.The guys in croatian service told me that they need original version of bios which is KD.M1.60 from Phoneix Technologies to reflash it.
Please if anybody have original bios,could you save it and sent to me via mail?I tryed to contact HP so many times but they are useless.
Thank you in advance.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

got the binary file to burn using the links suggested above to get the ROMPac installer. It puts the file on the floppy as M182.ROM. I have that binary file if anyone needs it.

Please can you send to me version KD.M1.82 so i can try that way.
Thank you.
Ivica

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

can you send me the link so i can get my hp fixed thanks

Dude I'm suggestin' you to buy a new bios chip then flash it o burn in a carefull process...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.