I am currently looking to upgrade my computer in the way of video enhancement. I am looking at the nVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 GT, I am aware of the price and am willing to pay up to $400, The thing i need to know is which one is compatible with my system. What i mean is that when i click on the link to look at the nVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 GT, there are many different kinds, I will list them all, BFG Technologies, XFX, Asus, PNY, eVGA, GigaByte, MSI, AOpen, and Leadtek. All of these acronyms come before the title "nVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 GT" i just need to know which i need, i am currently under the operating system, ME. But i am getting XP soon, so in regards to answering my question just answer it as if i have XP. Thank you very much!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What is your system? More importantly, your motherboard and the wattage of your power supply unit (PSU).

the model is intel(R)Celeron, manufacturer is Asus, the speed is 768Mhz, im still working on finding out the wattage, on the PSU its says something like "maximum continous output power 100w"

the model is intel(R)Celeron, manufacturer is Asus, the speed is 768Mhz, im still working on finding out the wattage, on the PSU its says something like "maximum continous output power 100w"

If your CPU is really a 766Mhz Celeron, then your new 6800GT will be severely bottlenecked by it (i.e. you're plugging a V8 engine into a small plastic hatchback). The card might be incompatible with your motherboard's AGP slot (if you have one), if it is AGP2X (AGP1.0) only. Finally, your power supply is far too underpowered (if indeed it is 100W) to provide juice to something like the 6800GT (I would be using a 350W+ PSU).

Sorry to say this moderate_rock, but buying a 6800GT with that system you have now is not a good idea. I would be coupling a 2Ghz+ system with a card like that. If you can't afford a complete upgrade, consider a Geforce 3/4 or Radeon 9200 card instead. Nice and cheap, and you should get a good performance increase in many older 3D games.

Otherwise, it's time to start saving!

Have to agree. That PC is definitely not suitable as the basis for a powerful video card upgrade. It's suitable as an Internet terminal, office machine, or for playing some very old PC Games.

Time to upgrade all round, for sure. If your monitor, keyboard and mouse are in good order, then you could save money by purchasing an 'upgrade' system box.

ok, cool thanks alot, I guess playing highend games is nowhere in the future for this piece. I appreciate very much you saving me $400+ :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.