Hello everyone. I have run into a MOST interesting dilemma with my DVDROM drive.

Here's the deal: Whenever I start up Windows, the drive slides open. When I press the button to close it, it opens up again. When I push the darn thing closed, it'll open right back up again. Considering the fact that this is my primary disk drive for the PC (a Dell Dimension 9100), this is rather annoying.

What I see as the problem is that it automatically ejects, on its own. If I leave it open, everything seems to be fine, and the drive automatically closes when I do a soft shutdown (shut down through Windows). Heck, I can even boot to a Windows CD this way, but once it loads up and displays "Windows is starting up" the darn thing ejects, and then I inevitably get a blue-screen.

What in the Hell is going on with this thing?

I have seen this before and believe the only way we resolved the problem was by replacing the device.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.