I am not very clued on about computers.
I got this problem, I was reinstalling the Windows XP, from the boot sequence and upon set-up and formating the partioned drive there was a power failure.
Now every time I switch on the computer and try and install Windows XP I get this error message "Error loading operating system":sad:

PLEASE HELP :!:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Is it a notebook or a desktop? If it's a desktop, it's easy to fix. Check your hard drive, RAM, video card, sound card, etc. and see if they're plugged in all the way. It's harder on a notebook. You have to take apart the whole thing. It's probably your hard drive unplugged a bit.

Considering you were doing a reinstall, I'd suggest you try booting off of the CD, delete all partitions and start setup again.

Is it a notebook or a desktop? If it's a desktop, it's easy to fix. Check your hard drive, RAM, video card, sound card, etc. and see if they're plugged in all the way. It's harder on a notebook. You have to take apart the whole thing. It's probably your hard drive unplugged a bit.

it's a packardbell notebook! what do I do ? I tried to boot from the CD again but I get the same error and the screen goes blank

Considering you were doing a reinstall, I'd suggest you try booting off of the CD, delete all partitions and start setup again.

This is what I was doing in the first place at the time of deleting the partitions and when it was formatting the harddisk the notebook shutoff due to a low battery. Now each time I switch it on all I can do is get into the BIOS. If I try to reboot from the CD it still gives me this message and the screen goes blank.
Is there anything else I can do???:?:

set your BIOS to auto-detect the HD. and make sure cd is at top of boot order. Then format and repartition.

how do you set your BIOS to auto -detect if the screen is black and will not boot up, I am using a desktop compaq presario.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

It might not work though. Most laptops sell their products without the winxp operating system cd -- needed to do a reformat.

Instead you have to use a "restore cd", which you should have created before you started using your laptop.

If not take it back to your retailer. I'm sure they'll have one.

if you are getting an error msg like Error loading op sys then your BIOS is running, and you can therefore get into it. Read your documentation, watch the screen for instructions during POST, hit Delete... whatever opens your BIOS on your pc. With an error msg like that i think your BIOS is just not recognising/reading your HD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.