First i would like to thank all who is helping.
Dell 8400 Windows XP - No floppy drive.
(currently on forum with some old computer)

This morning some how i messed up my computer and im clueless(im a noob). It wont start. I have messed up my computer before(last year) and i end up reformatting after receiving help. By going into F2 Setup at window start up, i forgot where to go :o and what keys to press and it reformat back to what it was when i first got the computer. (like reformat into original setting to reinput info into your computer and stuff). Anybody know what keys to press after going into F2 and... forgot which section to go to press those keys and it reformats?

or heres the problem :/...

when i restart up, its got that 5 choice of
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good config
Start windows normally
(if safe mode it comes with stuff like:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\(whatever name).sys <-- by whatever i mean the lots of those but different names.sys --- the other choice either end up restarting to same spot or just blank screen ---)

If Using operating system (reinstallation cd), its got continue, repair, or exit. first 2 option comes up with "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer." Dont know how to get to system restore without getting window started or dont know how to fix this. I tried scanning the forum for similiar issue but i guess i dont have the luck.

thanks for reading and hope ppl will post on how to fix it.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\(whatever name).sys

Whats the last driver name (.sys) on which windows stucks ?? That device might be creating problems for you ... unplug all periphrals like modem, lan card etc and then boot again.

For formatting you can boot from a windows xp cd and the setup will guide you through a new install of xp.

isnt formatting disk the ---> operating system (reinstallation cd) is the window xp cd that u can reinstall (On the cd it says Reinstallation CD microsoft windows XP Home Edition including service pack 1a)
Here's the process:

1. Window Setup
2. Setup is loading files
3. Setup is starting windows
Less than a minute setup loads comes with option:
*To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
*To repair a windows XP installation using recovery console, press R
*To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3
-----------------
Enter & R both comes result of Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To Quit Setup, press F3

--------------------------------------------------------------
the last 2 multi(0)... things are
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\NDIS.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys

no clue what "Mup" is.

thanks

check the cables of your hard drive ... and see if your the system can detect the hard drive (by entering into setup).

sry about the time wasted on helping solving this issue. i had made a 30 minutes waiting call to Dell support and they have solved it by reformating it without using cd or anything.

basically, as soon as the computer starts, when u see that blue "DELL" word, you press Ctrl + F11 at same time. then u will get an option of restore system. what it does is it sets ur computer back to the way it was when u first open ur box and set up ur computer.

Thanks God the problem has been solved quickly .... marking thread as solved .............>

:lol:

First i would like to thank all who is helping.
Dell 8400 Windows XP - No floppy drive.
(currently on forum with some old computer)

This morning some how i messed up my computer and im clueless(im a noob). It wont start. I have messed up my computer before(last year) and i end up reformatting after receiving help. By going into F2 Setup at window start up, i forgot where to go :o and what keys to press and it reformat back to what it was when i first got the computer. (like reformat into original setting to reinput info into your computer and stuff). Anybody know what keys to press after going into F2 and... forgot which section to go to press those keys and it reformats?

or heres the problem :/...

when i restart up, its got that 5 choice of
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good config
Start windows normally
(if safe mode it comes with stuff like:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\(whatever name).sys <-- by whatever i mean the lots of those but different names.sys --- the other choice either end up restarting to same spot or just blank screen ---)

If Using operating system (reinstallation cd), its got continue, repair, or exit. first 2 option comes up with "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer." Dont know how to get to system restore without getting window started or dont know how to fix this. I tried scanning the forum for similiar issue but i guess i dont have the luck.

thanks for reading and hope ppl will post on how to fix it.

when i restart up ,got that 5 choices of safe mode
safe mode with nertwork
last mode with command prompt
last known good config
start windows normally

had the same problem even after dell replace the motherboard and new blank hard drive two week of india and techs finally yesterday a new second level tech had me change my bios and gave me several codes after reinstalling windows can you boot windows? reinstall the quick one when it boots if not you may have to change all you bios i am a lost soul with all the stuff they made me do if you can not install windows turn off computer and tap f12 then new screen and tap f2 a new blue screen will apear or turn off computer and restart and tap f2 for blue screen then check all

it is a long process but after 15 day and forty call to tech support in India finally got the computer working you will go nuts especially if out ot warranty

also open computr and reseat all your cable that you can this may also help that is what they had me do and it finally found the hard drive so I could install windows

also my disk with service pack 1 was part of the problem and with the second level tech she made me do a lot of codes try to borrow a windows with service pack 2 this may also help

good luck

stan

isnt formatting disk the ---> operating system (reinstallation cd) is the window xp cd that u can reinstall (On the cd it says Reinstallation CD microsoft windows XP Home Edition including service pack 1a)
Here's the process:

1. Window Setup
2. Setup is loading files
3. Setup is starting windows
Less than a minute setup loads comes with option:
*To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
*To repair a windows XP installation using recovery console, press R
*To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3
-----------------
Enter & R both comes result of Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To Quit Setup, press F3

--------------------------------------------------------------
the last 2 multi(0)... things are
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\NDIS.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys

no clue what "Mup" is.

thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.