Please help me I think I am going crazy.

I am building a comuter, I have everything setup and when I try to boot windows from a CD, I keep getting the same error

PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable.
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM
Boot failure: System Halted

I have tried changing the IDE cables, new hard drive, cd, floppy, put in only one stick of ram, then tried the other, and still I get the same error.

I tried taking a hard drive from another computer with windows xp already installed, Windows started but stoped when it went to load the Mup.sys file, then it would restart again, it kept the loop going. I tried to boot in safe mode, safe with comand,Last know config.,and still I can't get it going.

What can I do to get this thing running???

Please Help!
NCLEO

Recommended Answers

All 51 Replies

Try this discussion from WinDrivers forums and see if any of the suggestions there give you a clue to what's happening.

My inital gut feeling is that your hard drive is incorrectly installed. Are you sure that the drive is correctly jumpered, enabled in BIOS, and the boot order correctly set?

Also, you cannot use a Windows XP hard drive from a different PC without formatting it and installing XP again. The copyright protection makes it fail to boot up, as you've found out!

I had the same problem, but I think I got it fixed. I had 2 partitions on my HD on my HP Pavilion notebook. somehow, my first partition was deleted. It just said no os found, and went to PXE. I did factory restores, removed my HD, everything. finally figured it out, and fixed it with FDISK. just create a primary dos partition in the somehow empty space

For me this error was caused by having 2 IDE devices (DVD-R and HD) both set to Master on the same IDE cable/connector. I moved the DVD-R to IDE 2 and all's well.

I had the same problem, but I think I got it fixed. I had 2 partitions on my HD on my HP Pavilion notebook. somehow, my first partition was deleted. It just said no os found, and went to PXE. I did factory restores, removed my HD, everything. finally figured it out, and fixed it with FDISK. just create a primary dos partition in the somehow empty space

I had a similar problem as I tried to install a new disk on my Lap. Finally I found I had to :
1)format the first partition as primary and
2)set as active
I made this on my desktop with the "partition magic" programm

please help. i have a similar problem. i have a laptop compaq presario v2000 when i start it up it gives me pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable and also a PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM message. i have tried to reinstall OS but 1 min into installation is automatically shuts down on its own. If i try to load from hard drive I get the error message. I have tried change the boot sequence, disabling booting devices and also replacin the HD and nothing seems to work. I see the HD in the BIOS so i know its being recognized. please help.

when you get a "'PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM message" you are booting to PXE through bios. Turn off Network booting in bios entirely, and make sure that in your boot sequence, cd rom and hard drive are first. Network should be last in the boot sequence or not enabled at all.

So again, Go into Bios, and turn off Network booting. Make sure that your boot sequence goes cdrom-->hard drive. When you get a PXE message it's because you have network booting enabled.

Disabling the network boot worked like a charm! Thanks indeed!!

i have had the same problem but when i removed the hard drive and put on another laptop its working properly but if i return it to this particular laptop i cant even see it in the bios. Help

when you get a "'PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM message" you are booting to PXE through bios. Turn off Network booting in bios entirely, and make sure that in your boot sequence, cd rom and hard drive are first. Network should be last in the boot sequence or not enabled at all.

So again, Go into Bios, and turn off Network booting. Make sure that your boot sequence goes cdrom-->hard drive. When you get a PXE message it's because you have network booting enabled.

That's how it is done, kids. Thank you Sucka. an intellegent answer, especially for a first post! I feel pity for all those poor sods that re installed windows before your post... :-(

i have the same problem with my laptop it says
intel undi pxe-2.0 (build 071)
copyright 1997 1998 1999 intel corp
pxe-e61 media test failure check cabe loading the boot image failed

tryied the hiting and did not work please help

I have the same issue with HP PAVILLION dv6000 series laptop that I am working on for a friend. This is the first computer issue that I have not been able to resolve yet. I bought a brand new hard drive even. I am not even able to boot from CD-ROM under boot options. I did have success with running all three hard disk tests in Bios with no problems. I am wondering if I should open up the laptop casing but maybe there is something that I'm missing. Someone with experience please help me.

trun off net working boot now getting operating system not found. any help

Hello
yesterday
whenever i started my computer it gives the message

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Existing Intel Boot Agent
1962: No operating system found
press F1 to repeat boot sequence

what does this means
some one told me to remove the cable and then plug it in again
but this didn't solve the problem
during this once i went into the settings and change the settings to default which works but again when i tried to turn on the system same things happens and i could not able to get into the BIOS Settings again.

please help me to cop this problem
how can i get rid of this problem

i have a acer AOA150

BASICALLY no CD-drive

so how would i fix mine?

I have an emachine EL 1200-07w and when I boot to BIOS it gives me a page entitled (Windows Boot Manager) which i then only gives me the option to choose Vista (or press F8 for advanced options with vista... whichc was like boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, and all that good stuff)... the other option it gives me is under tools, it says Windows Memory Diagnostic... I have been trying to access the BIOS menu where I can change the boot order all day, but have been unsuccesfule as a result of the above mentioned...

I have tried Tab, Del, F2, F6. F8. F10, and F12, literally restarting and pushing only those buttons... the only screens it gave me were the two mentioned above

sorry, forgot to mention that I am able to boot to Vista just fine, i am just trying to boot to the cd rom so that I can run ubuntu and/or drweb's live cd...

Thanks guys...

I had the same problem on my 1 year old Toshiba Satellite A355D when turning on the computer. I got the Media Test Failure message when starting up. I went into BIOS, turned off network booting, rearranged the boot sequence, just like it says on every website. Now, I don't even get that message. My computer attempts to start up, fails, goes black, and tries again. It keeps asking if I want to repair it, and I have tried that several times, but it never works. Right now, I am running in Safe Mode with Networking, searching for a good way to fix this issue.

Hi, i am having a similar problem... no one seems to have an answer though.
I bought a computer off of ebay, no hard drive... i got a hard drive and a windows xp disk... but im not sure how to install it.
When i turn the computer on, with bothe the hard drive and xp in the computer it says "Media Test Failure"... if i leave it alone for a couple of seconds... it then says "Replace and strike any key when ready"
Can someone please help me?
-Thanks (:

i have windows xp 2002, am getting the error...For realtek Rtl 8111B/8111C for gigabit ethernet controller v2.12 (some code)
PXE-61 media test failure check cable
pxe-M0F exiting intel rom....
Please help in simple language what to do.....as my sound device is not working in PC....

Member Avatar for runesten

I get the same problem, and I've tried disabling the network boot in my bios settings, which still does not work.
I guess the only difference is that this is happening to me after a radiator "blew" and spewed a little water on my laptop. It displayed the message twice, when I tried to start up my laptop, but after giving it a bit of rest I tried booting it again and this time it started up normally and booted windows. Late the same day I had no trouble booting my machine again, but all of a sudden after being on for maybe 1 hour I got blue screen of death, and the error message pop up once again when I turn on my laptop, and now I cannot boot it any more, al though I've tried your advice.
As far as what I have read else where it could be due to my circuit(motherboard) being screwed, im 95% sure that the circuit has taken enough damage for it to be toast, however I would like a second opinion before I look at the repair costs.
Thx in advance

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider getting your laptop repaired unless it is covered by the warrenty or insurence as sending it in to be repaired would cost as much as it would to find one cheap on Ebay. This has been the issue for me when something major happens to one of my laptops. Well I hope you are successful either way.

I have followed theses steps and disabled Network booting entirely. Boot order is set as: ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive, Notebook Hard Drive, USB Floppy, USB Diskette on Key, USB Hard Drive. I am still getting the same PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable error. Can someone please help me from here? I bought a brand new hard drive and cr/dvdrom drive so far but would prefer not to spend any more money on this thing. This is a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. Thank you.

Please help me I think I am going crazy.

I am building a comuter, I have everything setup and when I try to boot windows from a CD, I keep getting the same error

PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable.
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM
Boot failure: System Halted

I have tried changing the IDE cables, new hard drive, cd, floppy, put in only one stick of ram, then tried the other, and still I get the same error.

I tried taking a hard drive from another computer with windows xp already installed, Windows started but stoped when it went to load the Mup.sys file, then it would restart again, it kept the loop going. I tried to boot in safe mode, safe with comand,Last know config.,and still I can't get it going.

What can I do to get this thing running???

Please Help!
NCLEO

Drastic but works (if you can boot a Ubuntu disk)
I have been having a lot of problems with windows, probably 3rd party
incompatablities , since I use freeware. At one time I had Ubuntu as
a dual boot.
I tried to make the boot order start with the CD drive, but then
noticed that the 'Main' was an external drive name and the in the
other boot order menu, was the built in drive. How do these things
Happen! I had to plug the external in and deactivate it with device
manager! BUT that didn't work either, So -
Drastic: I backed up all my files, and installed Ubuntu, which wiped
everything clean, and then re-installed Windows from Ubuntu!
Someone else besides me must think it's ironic, or hilarious, that
I could not restore to out of the box from the Windows platform!
Drastic, but works....Stefan

Drastic but works (if you can boot a Ubuntu disk)
I have been having a lot of problems with windows, probably 3rd party
incompatablities , since I use freeware. At one time I had Ubuntu as
a dual boot.
I tried to make the boot order start with the CD drive, but then
noticed that the 'Main' was an external drive name and the in the
other boot order menu, was the built in drive. How do these things
Happen! I had to plug the external in and deactivate it with device
manager! BUT that didn't work either, So -
Drastic: I backed up all my files, and installed Ubuntu, which wiped
everything clean, and then re-installed Windows from Ubuntu!
Someone else besides me must think it's ironic, or hilarious, that
I could not restore to out of the box from the Windows platform!
Drastic, but works....Stefan

6-23-2010
I was able to restore to factory but that didn't fix anything!
BaH! I got the PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable!! message again.
What a pain. Also getting same incorrect function
drive not available message when I try to drag and drop/DLA...so not solved yet.
I guess the real puzzler is why the drive sees an Ubuntu disk, but not the
factory recovery disk.One of the solutions is to put the recovery-applications
disk in and use that to update drivers...but it won't run, I can open it and
see some files, but clicking on none of them runs the disk.Maybe it runs from
boot.. Stefan

Dear All,
Please help!
When i am start my pc there are showing on massage
PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable
i have check hdd cable & also change new cable but problem still same

also my one pc tft showing some place blank

kindly suggest me what to do in both cases

thnx..

PXE-E61 FIX

Go to your bios and return boot sequence to default. My default on the Toshiba 1405/S151 (old huh) places LAN at the end. HHD is in front then CD. Solved the problem for me

people having trouble with this,need to go to system setup and go to boot priority and make sure your harddrive is set #2 it is problaly set at#4 if your computer is booting saying about the PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE.CHECK CABLE

Dude.

This Post is months old. Who are yo trying to help? the last post from the thread starter was in 2005.

I need help with this! The same thing is happening on my notebook...

I keep getting the
PXE-161: Media test failure, check able
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE-ROM.

And over and over...
I've tried changing boot orders (HDD, CD-ROM etc) but nothing works.

I can't even go on in safe mode on it.

Please help... (I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L500 PSLS4A-01F00L)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.