I have an older pc w/ amd k 2- 6 500 mhz. Not a bit of thermal compound on
it. It takes 4 or 5 restarts for it to run, and not to happily.
Could this be the problem? Also at $8 bucks a tube I was wondering if there
was a alternitave to what is sold on the market.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have an older pc w/ amd k 2- 6 500 mhz. Not a bit of thermal compound on
it. It takes 4 or 5 restarts for it to run, and not to happily.
Could this be the problem? Also at $8 bucks a tube I was wondering if there
was a alternitave to what is sold on the market.

its probably something else wrong is my guess. It should atleast turn on but if it over heats it will shut down later (my guess 1-2 mins minimum). Check out newegg for paste, and a tube will last for more than one chip also so 8 bucks will last a few chips which isnt that bad.

Almost none of those early k6-2 500 machines ever had compound between the cpu and the heat sink.

I agree with an earlier post that you have something else wrong or going bad.

I have seen a couple of those older machines where it would take a few resets to get going. Occasionally it is the cmos battery going out...

If you power on and it fails to boot, wait 5 minutes with the power still on then reset. If this brings it up then that helps to narrow the problem down.
If it still takes a few tries then that points in a different direction.

A good cleaning, reseat the ram and the cards is a good place to start.

Even removing the heat sink and moving the arm/lever that locks in the cpu is something to try just to make sure everything has a good connection.

FYI, using the compound would NOT hurt.
I just doubt it would fix this problem

Maybe it is the battery because I lost my bios settings and had to manualy set time,cpu, ...

Maybe it is the battery because I lost my bios settings and had to manualy set time,cpu, ...

sounds like that could be the problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.