I have two computers, an HP and a Compaq. The HP is older with a slower CPU and has much more fan noise. The problem is that the HP has a lot of financial data on it that I want to preserve. Both computers are on Windows XP, SP2.

Can I just swap the hard drive from the HP to the Compaq? I know that I'll have to go into the BIOS so the Compaq will be set up properly for the HP hard drive. Is there anything else?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As they will both have different hardware configurations you will have too reinstall windows.

Why not transfer your financial files to external hard drive or maybe use the HP hard drive as a second hard drive making sure you can access the data.

I the HP has a lot of financial data on it that I want to preserve. .

financial data stored on a harddrive should be burned to disk [dvd or cd-r] NOW!!, to be safe and secure

financial data stored on a harddrive should be burned to disk [dvd or cd-r] NOW!!, to be safe and secure

I agree, you shouldn't really keep financial info on your PC, people can steal it over the net. You would be better storing it off your computer.

I agree 100% with your concern about storing financial data on a computer. Howeveer, this particular computer has never been connected to the internet (and won't be connected to the internet).

I agree 100% with your concern about storing financial data on a computer. Howeveer, this particular computer has never been connected to the internet (and won't be connected to the internet).

my concern was not with the net, but with your hard drive failing on you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.