I recently had a problem with a hitch hicker, after dealing with the main problem I was left with a couple of small problems which I've been able to track down. A friend suggested that I try "System Mechanic 5" to run down the remaining problems, I did, and while defragmenting, the SM5 stoped to explain that it could not finish because of a problem section of the hard drive. No explanation...jut that. Is there any way to check the HD?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I recently had a problem with a hitch hicker, after dealing with the main problem I was left with a couple of small problems which I've been able to track down. A friend suggested that I try "System Mechanic 5" to run down the remaining problems, I did, and while defragmenting, the SM5 stoped to explain that it could not finish because of a problem section of the hard drive. No explanation...jut that. Is there any way to check the HD?

have you tried running check disk? try this and also try it running the F parametre. before this though run the disk through windows own defragmenter.

if you've tried all this then the only suggestion i can make is to reformat your drive and reinstall windows;)

have you tried running check disk? try this and also try it running the F parametre. before this though run the disk through windows own defragmenter.

if you've tried all this then the only suggestion i can make is to reformat your drive and reinstall windows;)

Hi Janine...I do defragment my computer on a regular basis, as far as running a disc check or the F parametre, I'm a sixth month novice and don't know about these procedures, but thanks to members like you I'm learning. Having said this...how do I perform these procedures? Thanks..dcc

Hi,

could you possibly let us know what the brand name and model number of the drive is?

There are tools available for download on the manufacturer website which are better for checking drives than the ones included with Windows. We can point you in the right direction if we know what drive you have.

Hi Catweazle...the hard drive is a Maxtor, model D540X-4K.

Then visit www.maxtor.com

Check the Support section (you'll need to indicate your location) and from the Software Downloads section get the diagnostic utility PowerMax. Further information about it is on their website.

Thanks...will do.

Catweazle...I downloaded Power Max, ran the long and short tests and passed both. Thanks for the help...dcc

Hi Janine...I do defragment my computer on a regular basis, as far as running a disc check or the F parametre, I'm a sixth month novice and don't know about these procedures, but thanks to members like you I'm learning. Having said this...how do I perform these procedures? Thanks..dcc

ok. here goes

go to start. go to run. type cmd and press enter. this takes you to the command prompt screen. type in chkdsk/f. press enter. when asked type Y and press enter. type in shutdown -r t 00. press enter. this will automatically restart the computer. upon restart you will see chkdsk. the time taken depends on the size of the hard disk.;)

good luck.

thanks Janine...I will catalog this information along with the Power Max, if the hard drive passeed both of the Power Max tests, is there any reason to perform htis other test now?

thanks Janine...I will catalog this information along with the Power Max, if the hard drive passeed both of the Power Max tests, is there any reason to perform htis other test now?

shouldnt be but you might want to just so that you know how it works.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.