CPU says it will not start - what do i do now?????

urgent help needed...

Hi people,

I am stuck with a probelm...

Here is how the problem goes...

I have two PCs (not connected) at home both on windows xp...

My PC ONE had originally RAM of 256 MB
My PC TWO had originally RAM of 128 MB

Yesterday I purchased RAM of 512 MB...and I inserted into the slot in PC ONE and took out 256 MB of RAM from PC ONE.

Then I put the RAM of 256 MB taken out of PC ONE into PC TWO (which already had RAM of 128 MB)...

Now PC One is functioning alright BUT PC TWO IS NOT BOOTING/STARTING????????????????????

I took out additional 256 RAM from PC two but even then its not starting...

The monitor of PC two is alright as i can use pc two monitor with cpu of pc one...which to me means that pc two monitor is ok...

the problem is somewhere in pc two CPU...???????????///

Can anyone help...i have openend the cpu box and tried everything....any help would be greatly appreciated...

ANy suggestions, comments, opinions, help would be more than welcome...

thanks in advance...

regards,

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

The memory in the second computer, might not have been compatible with the first, and it might have fried the board.

so plz say what to do under such circumstances...?????? :cry: :cry:

If you fried the MB you need to replace the MB

You can swap out the other components and test them individually..

We just had someone else do exactly the same thing.

All ram is not created equal...

Just because it fits dosent mean a thing...

Could you please provide the specifications and/or model numbers of your PCs and RAM sticks sunandoghosh?

"If you fried the MB you need to replace the MB"

my GOD its very expensive... :sad:

"You can swap out the other components and test them individually.."

is it possible to test at home each component individually without any help of technicians/engineers...????? (i mean of my own using some instrument/ software etc)??

"All ram is not created equal...

Just because it fits dosent mean a thing..."

how do we know whether it is compatibe assuming it fits...any guidelines for future????

"Could you please provide the specifications and/or model numbers of your PCs and RAM sticks sunandoghosh?"

pc one is p four 3.2 ghz
pc two is celeron 500 mercury motherboard

ram is ddram

thanks

pc one is p four 3.2 ghz
pc two is celeron 500 mercury motherboard

ram is ddram

thanks

That doesn't sound right at all! I only know of a few motherboards released with DDR-RAM support for the socket 370 processor. A Celeron 500 PC will almost certainly come with SD-RAM - an older standard which is incompatible with DDR. If you've tried to jam a DDR stick into an SD-RAM slot, then you may well have fried both the RAM and the motherboard.

In future, make sure you know what kind of RAM your systems are currently using and what sticks and configurations they accept. Such information is available in your motherboard's manual or on the manufacturer's website.

I have to agree with you CM...
It is doubtful that the ram would work between those two machines.

About the only thing to try is pulling the cmos battery for an hour, putting the original ram back in and seeing if it will boot.

The notches in those ram chips are different but I agree, you could force them and really mess things up.

Sounds like one of those expensive lessons was learned...

Try to put your 256mb back in your 3.2ghz pc to see if it still works.

When you TRY to start your Celeron with 128mb in it does it make any beeps or anything??

Try to put your 256mb back in your 3.2ghz pc to see if it still works.

Hmmm. I'd be checking the pins along the bottom of the RAM stick beforehand. Are any blackened/distinctly off-colour?

lol yeah!! that wouldnt be a good thing ;)

"A Celeron 500 PC will almost certainly come with SD-RAM - an older standard which is incompatible with DDR. If you've tried to jam a DDR stick into an SD-RAM slot, then you may well have fried both the RAM and the motherboard."

yes even i think now for sure thats the problem...a hard lesson learned???

:-| :sad:

have you put everything back to how it was before you bought the new ram- I had the same problem and it turned out to just be a dodgy stick (it was the right kind of ram because an identical stick worked fine)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.