This processor is 498 MHz with 240MB of RAM. Running Windows XP.
I am not able to run video such as YouTube on this machine, but the audio comes through.
I am using another IBM with 966 MHz and 512 RAM and it handles all the video very well.
Is there a faster CPU that I can use in this old machine so I can watch video from the internet?

Thank you very much.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

we would need to know the model of the motheboard to know if it can take a bigger cpu .
i know not everyone has money to buy a computer ,but really good used ones are cheap on this site if you live in canada or the united states .i buy and sell used computer from this sited for about 6 yrs now
http://www.vfxweb.com/

we would need to know the model of the motheboard to know if it can take a bigger cpu .
i know not everyone has money to buy a computer ,but really good used ones are cheap on this site if you live in canada or the united states .i buy and sell used computer from this sited for about 6 yrs now
http://www.vfxweb.com/

Thank you for your reply. I live in Okinawa, Japan. What I was thinking of doing was getting a new intel motherboard and intel chipset. Also, I was wondering about the power supply, will the present power supply handle an upgraded motherboard and chipset? I've never changed a motherboard before nor chipset. I opened the minitower and measured the size of the motherboard. It is about 9 inches square, but I am going to make sure before I go ordering any thing. I will see if I can find the model number, is that the same as the form number?
What confuses me is when I look up intel's motherboards, do I just get a motherboard and cables. Do you have to order the chipset separate?

Thank you very much.

Plunkett

Thank you for your reply. I live in Okinawa, Japan. What I was thinking of doing was getting a new intel motherboard and intel chipset. Also, I was wondering about the power supply, will the present power supply handle an upgraded motherboard and chipset? I've never changed a motherboard before nor chipset. I opened the minitower and measured the size of the motherboard. It is about 9 inches square, but I am going to make sure before I go ordering any thing. I will see if I can find the model number, is that the same as the form number?
What confuses me is when I look up intel's motherboards, do I just get a motherboard and cables. Do you have to order the chipset separate?

Thank you very much.

Plunkett

no chipsed is built into the board ,and it not likely the psu will be the same ,smoetime back around the time your tower was built the computer had AT power supply and then changed to ATX psu .
just buy a new tower with everything in it !
at psu has 2 main plug that plug into motherboard side by side ,atx has one single 20 pin white plug htat plugs into the mainboard

no chipsed is built into the board ,and it not likely the psu will be the same ,smoetime back around the time your tower was built the computer had AT power supply and then changed to ATX psu .
just buy a new tower with everything in it !
at psu has 2 main plug that plug into motherboard side by side ,atx has one single 20 pin white plug htat plugs into the mainboard

Hello caperjack,

Thank you for the information. I may just take your advice and buy a tower. I'm going to open the minitower and take a look at the power supply and what kind of connectors it has.

THank you again

Plunkett

Hello caperjack,

Thank you for the information. I may just take your advice and buy a tower. I'm going to open the minitower and take a look at the power supply and what kind of connectors it has.

THank you again

Plunkett

your welcome .
also when they started the change over yrs ago they started making motherboards with both connections

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.