I've never installed a hard drive before and I have seem to run into a dead end...
I bought a new hard drive for my net book and installed it. Now, I wanted to keep everything (my operating system) the same as it was on my old drive, so I used Acronis True Image to make a colone of my old operating system and I backed it up on an external hard drive.

My plan was to be able to boot from the image on my external and then install it on my new hard drive inside my netbook. Easier thought of then done.

When I turn my computer on it says 'No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key'

I went into the bios to change my boot priority to my external hard drive but I still get the same message. I am not sure if I need to format my new hard drive in anyway or what step I am exactly missing.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks - Steph

I've never installed a hard drive before and I have seem to run into a dead end...
I bought a new hard drive for my net book and installed it. Now, I wanted to keep everything (my operating system) the same as it was on my old drive, so I used Acronis True Image to make a colone of my old operating system and I backed it up on an external hard drive.

My plan was to be able to boot from the image on my external and then install it on my new hard drive inside my netbook. Easier thought of then done.

When I turn my computer on it says 'No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key'

I went into the bios to change my boot priority to my external hard drive but I still get the same message. I am not sure if I need to format my new hard drive in anyway or what step I am exactly missing.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks - Steph

Steph if I had to make an assumption for starters your new hd isn't going to include the drivers to read your external HD, have you tried placing the image on a disc? I know anytime we use acronis we always burn our images to discs...

Steph if I had to make an assumption for starters your new hd isn't going to include the drivers to read your external HD, have you tried placing the image on a disc? I know anytime we use acronis we always burn our images to discs...

Thank you for the reply,

That's a good point. This was my first time using Acronis, and I wanted to keep my operating system 100% the same so I just backed up the whole thing sector by sector. I guess that wouldn't all fit on a CD, so would I just specifically make an image of just my operating system and is the .tib file bootable?

And I have a netbook, so I can purchase an external optical drive, but would I run into the same driver issue essence it was not origionally a part of my computer?

Thank you for the reply,

That's a good point. This was my first time using Acronis, and I wanted to keep my operating system 100% the same so I just backed up the whole thing sector by sector. I guess that wouldn't all fit on a CD, so would I just specifically make an image of just my operating system and is the .tib file bootable?

And I have a netbook, so I can purchase an external optical drive, but would I run into the same driver issue essence it was not origionally a part of my computer?

Steph,

Your OS itself wouldn't be very large alone, what I could recommend would be saving all of your files to the external drive(minus the OS settings), then image the OS to a DVD, if you can fill up a dvd with your OS I would be impressed :)

-Derick

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.