I have a HP 5060zx laptop that does not boot up sometimes: The power light comes on, but there is no display. I tried connecting to an external display and nothing happens on that as well. This problem happens seems to happen intermittently. After this problem occurs if I leave it off for 15 mins, then I am able to bring it up in Windows Safe mode, but then the computer hangs. If I power off after that and power on, the laptop does not boot up once again.

The laptop has been running fine for the last 1 year and 6 mos. and suddenly this problem showed up last week.

Any help would be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

I have a HP 5060zx laptop that does not boot up sometimes: The power light comes on, but there is no display. I tried connecting to an external display and nothing happens on that as well. This problem happens seems to happen intermittently. After this problem occurs if I leave it off for 15 mins, then I am able to bring it up in Windows Safe mode, but then the computer hangs. If I power off after that and power on, the laptop does not boot up once again.

The laptop has been running fine for the last 1 year and 6 mos. and suddenly this problem showed up last week.

Just bought my Last HP Product

You know, I had the same problem and don't like this line at all. What I finally discovered was that the light on the back causes some kind of problem with booting.
I'm quite suspicious of the reason the computer doesn't power down totally. I don't like it to be easily bootable when I'm not sitting at it.

What I did notice after a lot of delving into the problem thinking it was everything from motherboard to power supply, was that my HP is plugged into a surge protector. (I've tried two different ones now.)

If I turn OFF the surge protector totally so no power at all can get to the computer when the computer switch is OFF, then when I try to power up the computer again it won't start.

The way to overcome this is to turn on the power switch, turn on the computer, and then wait half an hour for it to warm up like a rusty old car.

That works every time for me.

I have a hp dv9000 that I have the same problem with, but my display never comes on, I also tried connecting it to another monitor but nothing happens. Did you have any luck with yours ? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Don

Try check the RAM first.
If there is more than 1 RAM on the PC, please use 1 at a time.

also discharge and reset the mainboard by doing the following:

Unplug the AC adapter and remove battery, pressing the power button over 15 seconds do not let go.
Then connect the AC adapter only and power on the laptop.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager

commented: Thanks! That worked. +0

Bill, you are a saint. I was in tears because the laptop I had planned to give my granddaughter for Christmas would not turn on. It's 5 years old and hardly been used, but I've kept it plugged into a surge protector all that time, keeping the battery charged. I tried what you suggested and it booted right up. Thank you a thousand times over. Diane C.

Member Avatar for Firemann59

I am having similar problems with a dv6000. When I press the power button all the lights come on, the hard drive light comes on for about 1 second, then nothing happens. I have tried removing the RAM and the mainboard reset with no results. I have also tried removing and re-installing the hard drive.

Bill, you are a saint. I was in tears because the laptop I had planned to give my granddaughter for Christmas would not turn on. It's 5 years old and hardly been used, but I've kept it plugged into a surge protector all that time, keeping the battery charged. I tried what you suggested and it booted right up. Thank you a thousand times over. Diane C.

Hi Diane,

Glad to see your laptop working again.
My pleasure helping you.

You are welcomed to ask if you need more advice in this PC forum.

Have a nice day.
Bill
Tech manager

I am having similar problems with a dv6000. When I press the power button all the lights come on, the hard drive light comes on for about 1 second, then nothing happens. I have tried removing the RAM and the mainboard reset with no results. I have also tried removing and re-installing the hard drive.

I have seen a few example with DV series like this.

The final answer is the mainboard replacement.

Maybe we can try to reseat the CPU and one working RAM at a time for now.

Hope this helps you.
Bill
Tech Manager

I have an hp compaq nc6000 and it won't boot up at all the lights come on like its trying to then nothing sometimes it will turn on and then the screen goes black the lights stay on and I can't do anything any idea what the problem could be and how to fix it

Let's try just use 1 working RAM to see if the computer boots up.
Reseat the HDD may help.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech manager

Hi - I'm having similar problems with my HP550 laptop. It gets as far as the login screen but then freezes. I've been system restoring pretty much daily from safe mode but now it won't load safe mode & keeps returning the the normal windows vista login screen. I would really appreciate any help or advice!

I have a hp dv6000 with the same symptoms. I press the power button it acts like it's booting up then stops. The disc drive keeps clicking every few seconds and then nothing. It will boot off an on also. Its done this in the past but ive always gotten it to boot back up. I'm freaking out a bit because I have a lot of irreplaceable photos and docs not backed up!! Shame on me for that! Please help!

Hi, I have a HP 530 laptop, and it doesn't boot. When I press the power button, it's trying to boot, but it stops at the first screen when I have the options to press F9 and F10 (boot device menu respectively ROM based setup). I cannot choose them, but sometimes it's starting and it's loading the windows xp that I have on it. I've open it, and I saw that the cooler it was full of dust, I inspect the motherboard to see if there are burned pieces, but all seems to be ok. I've tried also the the reset procedure, from above, but still nothing.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Ionut

My HP laptop has been grumpy lately, and now it does not work.

When I turn it on it starts booting, the lights come on. The sound-light and the network-light remain red. The screen remains black. I think it has something to do with the sound-card (excuse me if I use wrong terminology, my english vocabulary and general competence on computers is not what it should be), because it did this before and when I unplugged the loudspeakers it turned on fine. Now that does not help. I have had some trouble with the sound-card before.

I will try the heat-it-up-like-a-rusty-old-car-trick, and the remove battery, push button for 15 seconds trick. I have no extra ram I think. Clueless on how to look for it.

If you have any tips for me I am very greatful. Thank you very much for helping out people in her.

Hey! It actually worked! :) The trick where I remove the battery.
I'm still glad I found the forum. I'll look around to figure out some more. I'd like to be more capable with computers.

Hi Bill, I have read through your suggestions on this forum regarding the issue related to blank screen. I would like to take your expert advice regarding the similar issue with my HP Pavilion DV6 laptop.

When I have experienced the issue last week with my 1.5 year old HP pavilion DV6 laptop which is still in good condition, I have used the your tip of unplugging AC adapter, removing battery, pressing the power button over 15 seconds and then power on the laptop with AC Adaptor to resolve the issue successfully, however the issue started again tonight and the same solution would not work.

Can you please advise what else I can try? I can hear the sound that it longs into windows (hear the windows logon music), but the screen is blank.

Ok, now the laptop died again, and none of the tricks described above works anymore. It still lights up, but the sound- and network lights remain red, and the screen remains black. I was able to get a complete backup when I got it started last time, but I would still really like to get it fixed. Any more suggestions? Is there some way I can restart it, all content erased or something?

I have an HP compaq nc6000 that won't power up at all anymore. When I plug the adapter in the light on the adapter goes out and sometimes can smell a burning smell from outlet on the back of the laptop. The adaptor works with another laptop, so I know its not the adapter. Please help! I'm not great with computer so please give me specific instructions. Thanks! - rebecca

Hi, I have a refurbished hp 6910 and have recently encountered problems starting it up. When the power is plugged in, the power light comes on for a while, followed by the charging (lightning) light flashing a few times. I've tried taking out the battery and starting as per instructions above but it doesn't work. Please advise. Thanks!

laptops suck . lol

merry Christmas

My laptop is probably less than two years old. The battery on it already doesn't hold a charge, so I have to keep it plugged in all the time. Now the damn thing won't turn on. I have to use a different charging cord, a replacement, because my original one wouldn't charge my computer anymore and this one won't either unless I twist in all sorts of crazy ways. Now it just won't turn on. The power light comes on and the caps lock flashes and that's it. I can hear fans, but the screen won't load anything, and I'm starting to freak out. I have a story that I've been writing for nearly a year, and I am almost finished with it, but I haven't been keeping backups of it. Is there ANY way to fix this?

I have a Compaq F572US, and the power cable started shorting out at the plug into the computer. My ten year old used it until it wouldn't work any more, so I bought a new power cable and battery, but nothing. When I insert the cable into the machine, the blue light which illuminates the jack faintly blinks for a split second, but that's it. I broke the computer down and removed the AC/USB module while looking for anything that looked fried, but I don't see anything. I put it back together, but still no luck. I've tried all the things you mentioned in this thread, but nada. Should I just get a new motherboard?

If you hear fans running, it means you are getting power. The problem is, you are not getting enough juice. It takes a bit to get the gears turning, but it takes more to fire up the screen. I would guess your power supply isn't producing enough gas. Buy a new power cord. You can find em pretty cheap on Ebay.

my answer to you question ,or a new computer witch ever is cheapest

If your HP laptop is unable to perform the boot option, then you can fix it on your own by removing the battery and then reinserting it, and providing static charge for some time, so that the system reboots. If still you are not able to reboot, then the problem is with the BIOS or the motherboard. In that case, you can take best HP Support help from iGennie.

My hp laptop want boot up. When turned on the screen is black and a square box pops up saying " interactive login poess initialization has failed "

So I found a new mobo for 25 bucks on ebay. I put all my hardware into it and plug it in and the light around he plug comes on. I'm like, "Sweet!" I push the power button and the light goes out. That's it. Dead machine. So I unplug the ac module from the mother board and plug the ac adapter into it and the light comes on. When I try to replug the ac module to the mobo, the light goes out again.

Thus, I know it isn't the power supply, or the ac module. I cant be looking at two bad mother boards. Whats my next step in the diagnosis?

I have an HP Avilion dv7 and the keyboard lights up but the screen does not. I have tried taking the battery and ac off it and held the power button down and still nothing on the screen. Can anyone help me? I have all my tax work on there. Thanks..Wendy

I have a HP Pavillion DV9300 notebook. I got the problem, when i plug it in, the light went on for few seconds then light out and wont boot.
I also tried what Bill has said : "Unplug the AC adapter and remove battery, pressing the power button over 15 seconds do not let go.
Then connect the AC adapter only and power on the laptop."
Sad to say it dont work with this model, Pls help Bill or anyone
Thanks

Let's try just use 1 working RAM to see if the computer boots up.
Reseat the HDD may help.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech manager

Hi I have an HP 6000 that won’t power up and under my microscope I could see some bad solder joints at the MAX 1987 chip. Trying to fix it, I pulled a real stupid and reheated the solder joints with my hot air gun and blew off one or two chip resisters. One for sure and the other might have been blank to start with. There are four resistors in a row next to the MAX 1987 chip the two I am missing is R1076 & R1074. R1076 for sure, and not sure if R1074 was ever there. Can someone please ohm out the two resistors and let me know the value. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a million for the help!
Dene

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.