this is my first post anywhere.
so, here's the thing...i'm working on an older daewoo mini atx box
psu: hec 145 watts
cpu: amd k6-2 550 mhz
ram: 256 mb
floppy, lg cd-rw
hdd: quantum fireball 15gb
mobo: msi ms5187 ver:1
i had to change the cmos battery to get it to post, but that's all it does.
at the end of post, it's almost as if the system hangs, but i can restart with ctrl-alt-delete.
i suspected a hard drive problem, so i put it in a good machine as slave, that machine froze before the desktop finished loading.
i tried several drives, set bios every way i could think of, set boot order three different ways, reseat ram, & cpu, no luck.
no matter which drive it tries to boot from, the same thing happens; post completes & you can hear the drive spin up, but nothing happens. the last line of post is verifying dmi data..... then the curser sits there blinking happily untill i reboot or shut down.
i usually figure these thing out, but this one has me stumped...any ideas? i will keep tinkering for a while, but any help or suggestions will be helpfull. thanks in advance: ron

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rongostick

this machine is too old...no option for boot from usb drive.
i tried it anyway, but no luck
it's as if after detecting floppy, cd rom & hard drive in bios, it can't see any of them to boot from

tungnk:
thank you so much for your ideas, but the problem remains;
the computer will not boot from floppy, cd rom, or hard drive. no usb boot option in menu, or bios...the only way to boot this machine seems like steel-toed boots
it tries to access every drive i've tried, but seems to just hang before it can read from them...any other thoughts?...anyone?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.