hey, just wanted to know if i upgraded to an athlon xp 3200+ or 3000+ (400fsb).... would i notice a difference in performance whilst playing games such as WoW, HL-2, and UT2004 from my sempron 3000+: 2.0ghz...333fsb...512L2 cache....

Or if it would i would be better of just buying a new mobo (754) and getting an athlon 64?....thx :?:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi,

I'll move your topic to the appropriate sectionon TechTalk for hardware questions of this type.

Welcome to Daniweb :)

hey, just wanted to know if i upgraded to an athlon xp 3200+ or 3000+ (400fsb).... would i notice a difference in performance whilst playing games such as WoW, HL-2, and UT2004 from my sempron 3000+: 2.0ghz...333fsb...512L2 cache....

No.

Or if it would i would be better of just buying a new mobo (754) and getting an athlon 64?....thx :?:

I would concentrate on the graphics card, which may or may not require a platform replacement (depending on the chipset and interface you choose).

My graphics card is a geforce 6800LE 128mb......so not too bad..... i got 512 of ddr400 ram ... hopefully upgrading too 1mb soon... so i was wondering when playing games such as HL-2 and doom 3, and COD, if i would notice a difference from a cpu upgrade?

Upgrading to an XP 3200+ would not give enough improvement to be worth the expense and effort.

512Mb of RAM is barely adequate for a title such as Battlefield 2. 1Gb or more of RAM is far preferable.

A socket 939 platform (Athlon64) would be the the best choice to make at present for upgrading, but as Coconut Monkey has stated, a more capable display card would gives the best improvement for games. PCI Express is the current standard in display card slots, however, and anything other than a full system upgrade would be a partial solution for you which wouldn't prepare you for future improvements.

I'd suggest adding another 512Mb of RAM, cleaning up your Windows installation and 'tweaking' your system for best performance, and then saving for a full system upgrade.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.