My Gateway Laptop is acting very funny. About 2 months ago I reformatted it, and itwas running perfectly. Then just the other day, I turned on the machine, watched the "gateway" screen, then watched the "Windows XP" screen (where there is a blue status bar or whatever) then....the screen went black... and made the windows welcome sound. I thought this was very strange. So I plugged an external monitor from my Desktop computer into the back, and the screen was perfectly displayed on the Desktop monitor. Is this a hardware issue with the LCD of the laptop? Is it possible it is a virus or anything? I will reformat the hard drive again to see if it helps any, even though I don't want to. Just give me any ideas if you have any

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

My Gateway Laptop is acting very funny. About 2 months ago I reformatted it, and itwas running perfectly. Then just the other day, I turned on the machine, watched the "gateway" screen, then watched the "Windows XP" screen (where there is a blue status bar or whatever) then....the screen went black... and made the windows welcome sound. I thought this was very strange. So I plugged an external monitor from my Desktop computer into the back, and the screen was perfectly displayed on the Desktop monitor. Is this a hardware issue with the LCD of the laptop? Is it possible it is a virus or anything? I will reformat the hard drive again to see if it helps any, even though I don't want to. Just give me any ideas if you have any

Try adjusting your primary display. Most laptops have functions that could easily switch between the LCD and the secondary display or even display on both. Usually it is activated by pressing a function key (a different colored key on your keyboard) to shift the function of the keys. Just press the Fn key and then press the key with the |□| sign. If at first it doesn't turn on your LCD try pressing it again until it turns on. I hope this solves your problem. ;)

intresting... try booting in safe mode. it sounds like there is a hardware issue some where. maybe the resolution is too high? or mabye there is no display driver installed?
I dont think it has to do with being in the secondary display mode because you see the screen when it turns on.

using your monitor go to display properties and poke around in there... click on the monitor tab and make sure it finds your lcd screen.
(right click desktop) properties > settings > advanced > monitor.

intresting... try booting in safe mode. it sounds like there is a hardware issue some where. maybe the resolution is too high? or mabye there is no display driver installed?
I dont think it has to do with being in the secondary display mode because you see the screen when it turns on.

using your monitor go to display properties and poke around in there... click on the monitor tab and make sure it finds your lcd screen.
(right click desktop) properties > settings > advanced > monitor.

Just a quick question... Can the resolution be set too high for a "built-in" LCD Screen? I mean, if this would be the case then definitely there should be something on it, a flicker perhaps. I really think he should try the function sequence first before trying to do anything else. if it fails then try some other method. Some problems can be solved by just by pushing some buttons if that fails then it's time to go to the harder solution. ;)

FYI: The POST can be seen in the primary display even if the secondary is the default. After POST it switches to the secondary display.:idea:

This worked for me. Apparently, I didn't know I hit that key combination the first time (or one of my kids). Thank you!

kindly take of the battery and fix it back or better still unplug the screen connector on the bored,brush very well and fix it back....

I think it is like a power adjustment problem .So you have to correct it first.

Hi members ............................................................................................
Softany Monitor Control is a tray program that help you manually turn off your computer's monitor, manually start any screensaver installed in your system rather than waiting for a number of minutes; quick change screensaver settings; automatically disable screensaver and power scheme so that you can easily get rid of their harassing while watching DVD or TV on your computer, etc. (keywords:start screensaver, disable
by regards
anglish512
more information to click here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.