I just built a amd 64 box and i tried starting it up for the first time and it turns on long enough to beep once, then cuts off. It's not the power supply, all the jumpers are right. I tried everything, what could be causing this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This could point to a faulty motherboard. Check all connections first, try resetting the CMOS to defaults. Make sure the RAM modules are seated properly and are clean. You can use a regular eraser to clean the RAM's contact pins.

Did you install the cpu properly? Is the heatsink clamped properly? Did you remove the tape from the base of the heatsink before installing it?

Just a few suggestions.

Welcome to the forums stevorh. I've moved this thread to the correct area - take note for future topics. You might want to check out the sticky located in this forum.

This could point to a faulty motherboard. Check all connections first, try resetting the CMOS to defaults. Make sure the RAM modules are seated properly and are clean. You can use a regular eraser to clean the RAM's contact pins.

Did you install the cpu properly? Is the heatsink clamped properly? Did you remove the tape from the base of the heatsink before installing it?

Just a few suggestions.

I did not remove the tape, it's not really tape as much as putty. I tried all of these things. It's a brand new mobo, you think it's the culprit?

Could it possibly be the RAM? It's PC3200, and it's supposed to be the same as DDR400. This shouldn't be the problem, but who knows. I've tried all these things and nothing. When i disconnect everything, including the CPU, the cpmputer stays running. I don't know what this means. Any help would be appreciated.

ok, i just found out that i'm using an AMD 64 mobile chip on accident, this has the same architeture correct? Is this my problem?

Not necessarily correct that a mobile chip will be recognised by the system BIOS on your motherboard. It may have similar architecture but it has different ID, and it'd be 'pot luck' if your board recognised it or not.

Work through the 'Read this first' sticky in this topic, however. Until you try it as a 'barebones' system you really can't be sure if it's the processor or something else causing the boot failure.

I figured it out, the heatsink wasnt touching the cpu since the mobile is thinner. I took the mount out and it's touching now, therefore it started up and is running beautifully. Thanks for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.