Hello,

This is probably a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how to determine the fastest RAM that can be used with a system besides going to a website like kingston.com and looking up what they recommend? In the past I was told that the FSB speed is what you used, but when I look up RAM for my machine, an HP with a Celeron 2.7 GHz/400 MHz, it says to use PC2100 RAM - and that is only 266 MHz, right? Any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What brand and model number is your motherboard?
If you don't know that, what model number is your HP?

HP a400n

What brand and model number is your motherboard?
If you don't know that, what model number is your HP?

Actually, HP Pavillion a400n - sorry about that.

Your system has a custom MSI motherboard, the MS-6577 (codename: Gamila). You can find the full specs here.

As you can see from the specs, the motherboard can handle memory up to DDR333 (PC2700). It does indicate that it messages PC2700 as PC2100, but I don't know if that means that it runs it at the speed of a PC2100 module or just displays messages that it is PC2100 rather than PC2100.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.