Hi guys,I assembled a new computer with onboard video,via p4m800 chipset and an intel celeron d 2.26 ghz processor but the only thing that I can see working is the fan and I can hear hdd drive spinning,open and close the CD-ROM drives, but that's all about it! ,nothing on the screen and I'm sure the monitor is fine ,its very frustrating .I will appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle this.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Does it have any memory in it? if so is it the right Memory
3 beeps is an indication. (if you plugged in the speaker wire to the Mobo)

Hi guys,I assembled a new computer with onboard video,via p4m800 chipset and an intel celeron d 2.26 ghz processor but the only thing that I can see working is the fan and I can hear hdd drive spinning,open and close the CD-ROM drives, but that's all about it! ,nothing on the screen and I'm sure the monitor is fine ,its very frustrating .I will appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle this.

Check and see that your powersupply is plugged into your motherboard connector. It should be a 24 pin connector set.

What kind of motherboard is yours? You said you have on board video maybe your onboard video is fried...this happens a lot with "el cheapo" motherboards. You can try adding a video card in it to see if you get a picture up on your display. It could also be a powersupply issue also. Are you using the cheap one that came with the case? Tell us exactly all the components you put in your system and maybe we can help a little more.

the motherboard is called genx and the speaker its like itsnt working cos even after connecting the speaker wires i cant hear any beeps when I start ,the power supply is the one that came with the case but something else happened on saturday,I came with the motherboard at work where I can get another monitor and power supply to test with but I did not get time to test.When I got back home and connected the motheboard again and tried to start nothing even fans were starting.Actually now Im confused ,I dont know if its the power supply or the mobo,but I have a feeling the mobo is kaput.

Some updates,I took the mobo to a repair shop for a check and guess what,its fine although the technician scrapped off the thermal paste cos that it was dry but he gave me some paste to apply(said it can cause harm when is like that).So ,it has to be the power supply,Im calling where I got my casing to see if it can be replaced.

yeah thats what i figured...if i were you tho i would not get it replaced by a chepo one that comes with the cases for free...id scrap those and spend $50 and get a nice antec or equivelent psu. It will save you troubles down the road by having a decent reliable psu that provides consistant voltage across the rails.

yeah thats what i figured...if i were you tho i would not get it replaced by a chepo one that comes with the cases for free...id scrap those and spend $50 and get a nice antec or equivelent psu. It will save you troubles down the road by having a decent reliable psu that provides consistant voltage across the rails.

Ya Know what NIZZY- It may had just been a wattage issue.

Wimpy 150-200w PSU for a PII/PIII mobo, and didn't have the extra wire for P4/Cel D.

Kegtapper

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.