I understand that this forum is the Motherboards, CPUs and RAM area, but my question is a bit more vague than that but these components are what matters most to me.

Im a teenager and I am looking to buy myself a computer or laptop (Preferably laptop) for me to use for C++ and for audio processing as well as some gaming, so here is my dilemma, I have around £300-£500 to spend, If you are thinking of writing back saying Agh I bet you don't really need a new computer then here are the specs of my current PC.

Time of this report: 8/25/2011, 19:05:02
Machine name: ----------
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: XPST500
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~490MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM[*]Adobe Audition 3.0

Page File: 264MB used, 981MB available
Windows Dir: G:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in Direct3D (stage 1) & DirectSound (stage 1) & DirectMusic (stage 1)

Info from DxDiag.

The programs I use the most are:

• Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2010
  • Adobe audition 3.0
  • Power Tab
  • iTunes

Any help is much appreciated because at the moment Im pretty much stuffed

Any copyrighted or trademarked material and/or names are used purely for Identification purposes.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I agree that it is time for a new pc, with those specs. :)

I would probably buy something like this pc, if it was for my self.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-g570-15-6-laptop-black-10747085-pdt.html

What I think is important, is that you find a decent brand, and look for the processor model used.
Intel core i3 and i5 second generation series (like i3-"4 digit"M f.ex.), is currently my best advise. You get both low power, and good performance in that packet, and the embedded graphics is performing well enough for most purposes, as far as I have seen so far.
But you might want to ask a hardcore gamer for advise on the new intel-gpu, if you need to play gpu-intensive games. ;)

Edit:
I forgot to mention that intel 2nd. gen. core i# cpu's, have much better embedded GPU's than previous generations, so it is important to select one of those. Otherwise you might get disappointed.

Many thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.