A quick question for you guys: I just built a 64-bit workstation at work and the DDR400 memory I purchased is running at 200MHz.

Specs:
Tyan K8WE mobo
Opteron 64 270 @ 2.0GHz dual core
4 GB Kingston HyperX KRX3200 (2 pairs of 1GB matched ECC/R sticks) dual-channel 128-bit interleaved.
5 Raptor 150 GB HDD (4 in RAID1, 5th as OS disk, raid via 3Ware 9550SX SATAII card)
Windows XP Pro x64

CPU-Z shows that both cores are recognized and running, everythings cosher with the 64 bit, but the memory is stuck at 200 MHz (3-3-3-8). Now the specs from Kingston show the timings should be 2-3-2-6 @ 2.5V

Now, Ive never built such an enourmous workhorse, or at least one that I needed to tune as finely as I do this one, so I'm no pro at tweaking the settings.

Do these look like normal default settings to you guys and should I drop the hammer on the timings?

TIA,
gkd

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Is these the modules that you purchased?

KRX3200AK2/1G 1GB 400MHz DDR ECC Registered CL2.5 (2.5-3-3-6-1) DIMM (Kit of 2)

KRX3200AK2/1G 1GB 400MHz DDR ECC Registered CL2.5 (2.5-3-3-6-1) DIMM (Kit of 2)

Close, KRX3200AK2/2G 2GB PC3200 REgistered CL2.5 ECC (a pair of 1GB pairs)

it doesnt really matter if I can only achieve 200MHz with 4GB dual channel matched pairs per socket, its the addresses and bitwidth I want, not the bandwidth so much.

I've read that some boards wont support full bandwidth on a full-set of memory modules per socket, is this what you're thinking?

thanks
gkd

Actually, I was just checking to see if perhaps you had the wrong modules.

There are two Tyan K8WE motherboards, the Thunder, and the Tiger. Kingston dosen't suggest the same modules for both, the KRX3200AK2/2G is suggested for the Thunder.

Search Results for: KRX3200AK2/2G
Description: 2GB 400MHz DDR ECC Registered CL2.5 (2.5-3-3-6-1) DIMM (Kit of 2)
Detailed Specifications: Standard 64M X 72 ECC 400MHz 184-pin Registered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR, 2.6V, CL2.5, TSOP, Gold) (Datasheet)
Additional Info: Timing for this part: 2.5-3-3-6-1

I'm just a little curious about the discreption in what you posted for the Kingston spec, and what I found.

CPU-Z shows that both cores are recognized and running, everythings cosher with the 64 bit, but the memory is stuck at 200 MHz (3-3-3-8). Now the specs from Kingston show the timings should be 2-3-2-6 @ 2.5V

Can you change the speed in the BIOS?

You can manually set memory settings, yes. By default, BIOSs use an automatic timing function known as SPD (Serial Presence Detect) to configure these timings. You should be able to use "manual" settings instead and configure the numbers appropriately.

You can manually set memory settings, yes. By default, BIOSs use an automatic timing function known as SPD (Serial Presence Detect) to configure these timings. You should be able to use "manual" settings instead and configure the numbers appropriately.

Thanks for all your input guys.

dcc, Ive got the Thunder K8WE, which as far as my product lit says, will accept the memory I purchased. Also, the pairs are matched (serial numbers are sequential A+B in CPU-Z)

I think I'll avoid resetting the SPD timings right now, given that we shelled out about 10 grand for the functional unit.

I've broken enough 'things' in the past to know better at this point.

thanks for all your input, all of you.

gkd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.