Hi All,
I,m new to all the jargon, and am desperatley confused, I would appreciate any help.
My problem at the moment is that i am wanting to buy some RAM i only have 2 slots in slot 1 i have 128, i need to know if i can buy a 256 to put in the second slot or do i have to get 128.
I will await somebodys wisdom.
Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi sallyssanctuary, welcome to DaniWeb. :)

To give you a truly definitive answer we would need to know the specifications of your motherboard (model# and version) and/or the specs of your BIOS, as those are the components that ultimately determine what RAM configurations will work with any given computer.
In general though (unless your computer is several years old), you should be able to add a 256M RAM module without issue. Given the relatively low price of RAM modules, I'd suggest scrapping the existing 128M module and installing 2 256M modules instead.

If you can give any details at all on the computer's specifications we can probably give you a more reliable answer.

I will agree with DMR scrap the 128 meg of ram and get one or two sticks to move up to 512mb. I have found out that inless you can ID the type and manufacture of RAM you will most likely cause you're self problems.

I have found out that inless you can ID the type and manufacture of RAM you will most likely cause you're self problems.

Good point-- for performance and reliability reasons, it's best to use RAM modules of matched type, speed, and brand.

Thanks All,

Your reply has answered my question, but raised more questions. There's a lot to learn.
Thanks for your help. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.