I run XP Home on my pc. I did a restore point and later tried to go back. this is when the issues started. after trying to restore the HD wouldn't reboot. So in stead of screwing around I bought a new HD and installed it making the old 80 gig the slave. However... when I try to access any files on the slave it says "Access is denied" how do I solve this issue?
Any help from you gurues would make my day!!!
Thanks in advance.
Timbo

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

do you care about the files in the old hd? if you don't need those then go ahead and reformat the drive using windows.
right click on it and then click format

if you do need the files in the old hard drive, then give yourself permission to access it, then right click it and change the permissions on the permissions tab.

Thats just the thing. I can't find the Permission tab.

something tells me that you won't be able to change permissions in home version of windows, anyway do you see security tab in properties of the disk?

Check your BIOS, I had a similar experience only to find my HDD was set to read only in the BIOS.

Mind you that's all you're trying to do. You didn't encrypt the drive at any time in the past did you with EFS or whatever it is?

I take it the drive is viewable in Windows Explorer? you can see the files and folders ? or id it clicking on Drive E: (or whatever letter it's got) produces the Access Denied message ?

Check your BIOS, I had a similar experience only to find my HDD was set to read only in the BIOS.

i hear about this for the first time. where is it?

where is what the BIOS ? or the read only setting?

BIOS's and their settings differ from machine to machine so I couldn;t possibly say for sure in your case. But generally pressing delete key when your computer is booting (before any sign of the OS starts laoding) will put you in the BIOS, from there you will have to use the menus to look about.

where is what the BIOS ? or the read only setting?

BIOS's and their settings differ from machine to machine so I couldn;t possibly say for sure in your case. But generally pressing delete key when your computer is booting (before any sign of the OS starts laoding) will put you in the BIOS, from there you will have to use the menus to look about.

ok, i know what is it BIOS. I've never heard about the option read only for hard disk and never come across it in bios settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.