Hi Everyone, this is my first post here, mostly due to my ram conundrum.

This is my problem. I have a new motherboard which supports dual channel RAM, a while ago I bought 2 twinmos dual channel kits from a reputable dealer, giving a total of 2 GB ram (I'm all about excess) in my old motherboard, It worked fine.
So I transfer it all across and everything goes smoothly, until I play something which requires a bit of Juice, like Civ4, UFO aftershock, Oblivion, or NWN2, in which I get random crashes.
So I test the ram using windiag. Lo and behold I get a whole bunch of errors, about 100.
I remove all sticks, test them one at a time in the same slot, no errors.
I check each slot with sone stick, no errors.
I check each pair in dual channel, no errors.
I check 2 'unpaired' sticks in the same bank of slots, ie non dual channel, no errors.
I put all four back in, 100 or so errors.

So right now I'm wondering if I need to buy 2 or 4 more sticks of ram. Heh.

P4 3GHz socket 478 in Albatron PX865PEC Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro, 256 MB ram.
450W PSU
cant think of anything else that is pertinant.

Thanks

Jacob

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You Might have a problemb with your CPU, I think you have too much RAM in there, and your CPU isent coping with it, i suggest you get a more powerfull CPU, or read your motherboard manuel (i cant spell manuel), as it could be a problem with the dip switches for your RAM or your CPU but i wouldent change that unless you were 100% sure that was the problem, and you knew what you were doing, as if you get them wrong, you will fry all the RAM and the CPU.

Good luck,

Carebare47

I had same issue. All looks fine until you get "Memory access error". It's all here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.