Hello everyone, I am hoping you can help me with this problem, as I am running out of ideas. I installed Linux on a hard drive in my computer, and then afterwards, I switched back to Windows XP because my girlfriend couldn't get along with Linux very well. The problem I am having is this, my slave drive is no longer accessible through Windows, where it was before the Linux install. It is in BIOS and it is in Device Manager and Disk Management, but not in My Computer. I believe the problem to be that Linux changed the format to Ext2, and now I do not know how to access my data. It is still there, just not useable. I have used Get Data Back which did nothing for me, and I have used Partition Magic, which woud also not allow me any help. If there are any suggestions, I am open to trying anything. Thanks for the help.

-Joe

P.S. - I am hoping there is an easier way than switching back to Linux and then adding to a network with Windows and transferring that way, as there is a lot of information and I only have one computer at the time.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello everyone, I am hoping you can help me with this problem, as I am running out of ideas. I installed Linux on a hard drive in my computer, and then afterwards, I switched back to Windows XP because my girlfriend couldn't get along with Linux very well. The problem I am having is this, my slave drive is no longer accessible through Windows, where it was before the Linux install. It is in BIOS and it is in Device Manager and Disk Management, but not in My Computer. I believe the problem to be that Linux changed the format to Ext2, and now I do not know how to access my data. It is still there, just not useable. I have used Get Data Back which did nothing for me, and I have used Partition Magic, which woud also not allow me any help. If there are any suggestions, I am open to trying anything. Thanks for the help.

-Joe

P.S. - I am hoping there is an easier way than switching back to Linux and then adding to a network with Windows and transferring that way, as there is a lot of information and I only have one computer at the time.

This is what i would do ,disconnect the windows xp drive ,use a win98 boot disk ,boot to dos prompt run FDISK ,and delete non-dos partitions ,create new dos partition and format the drive ,then reconnect the winxp hdd . that is if you have a floppy drive ,if you don't have a win98 boot disk get one here ,
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Caperjack,
thank you for taking time to reply. While your idea has crossed my mind, I am hoping to find a way to not lose the data that is on the drive. In the event that there is no way to do that, then you hit the nail on the head. At least that way I will be able to reuse the drive instead of it sitting there full of information that i can't access. If anyone has any other ideas, it would be appreciated.

-Joe

mmm Formating and then try to recover your information with some program you can look for them in google just type "file recovery" or something like that

Beautiful! That pretty much did the trick! Thanks for taking the time to help. You all are great! I'll be around, this place is wonderful.

-Joe

Beautiful! That pretty much did the trick! Thanks for taking the time to help. You all are great! I'll be around, this place is wonderful.

-Joe

your welcome ,be seeing you around

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.