I'm putting together a new computer. Nothing is installed in the case yet except for the PSU. I have an ATRIX case that has a built in multifunctional PC temperature controller display and clock. I want to power the PSU up to test the voltages and to power up the display unit to make sure everything works before I install the motherboard and drives.

The PSU normally powers up by the botton on the front of the computer when everything is installed to the motherboard and the 40 pin EATXPWR connector is plugged into the board.

But there is a way to power the PSU up without being installed on the MOBO as I've seen it done before in a computer store. There are 2 pins that have to be shorted out on the 40 pin EATXPWR connector but I'm not sure which ones? One of the pins are marked PSON# which has to be on of them, but what do I short it to, +3, +5, +12v, or do I short it to ground.

Does anyone know how to get this PSU powered up just by itself.

I know it can be done because the store where I bought the case had one on display with just the PSU installed in it and the had the built in temp controller powered up and the lights in the case were working. I would ask him at the store how to do it but it is closed till Tuesday and I want to get this done this weekend :-)

Thanks;

Dougie

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

To be specific you need to short pin 14 (Green wire) to any ground (black wire).

Thanks dcc for your help ... I managed to get it powered up and working. The links you provided helped a lot.

On my Molex connector the PSON is pin # 16 ( green ) with the ground beside it ( pin # 15 ) black, holding it so that the clip is on the right hand side. On the link you sent me it shows 2 different Molex 24 pin connectors, one on the right and one on the left of the page. Mine is Molex # 39-01-2240.

Its confusing because it shows 2 different connectors, the pins on the one connector, the numbers going around in the opposite direction of the other one???

The manual for my new mobo does show a pic of the 24 pin connector and what each pin is used for but they are not numbered, and the pic dosen't show the clip so I couldnt tell which was left or right side.

BTW, my mobo is an ASUS P5B Deluxe.....

Thanks again for you help :-)

Dougie

Sorry you had some confusion, I should have just said the green wire and a black wire, there's only one green wire in the bundle.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.

Sorry you had some confusion, I should have just said the green wire and a black wire, there's only one green wire in the bundle.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.

Actually, most of the confusion was in the 2 different pics of the 24 pin Molex connectors, one showing the numbers going around in the opposite direction than the other. Not sure whats up with that??

Dougie

Actually, most of the confusion was in the 2 different pics of the 24 pin Molex connectors, one showing the numbers going around in the opposite direction than the other. Not sure whats up with that??

Dougie

I didn't even take the pin configuration into consideration as there is only one green wire in the harness, makes it pretty straight forward.:rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.