OK so here goes. I just git rid of a networkable printer, it was old and not working... the toner part malfuntioned. Anywho, I slavaged a sitck of 64 meg ram from it. The lable reads as following

64 MB, SYNCH, 100Mh, CL2 there is a silver text on the MB part of the chip, it reads, SO-DIMM REV 1.0.

Can I stick this in any computer? Say an HP dv5000 or an old Compaq?

Thank you for the help, as far as I know its just a standard memory stick, as in the RAM stick not like a SONY MMC or something.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

so-dimm is laptop style RAM

don t know about the 100mhz bit - i got a PII and its 133, and an PIII that takes 166 RAM although (i think) you can use slower ram in a machine - it just slows it all down to that level. - dont take my word for this though

interesting.... Because my laptop uses DDR RAM and this SO-DIMM came out of a printer..

interesting.... Because my laptop uses DDR RAM and this SO-DIMM came out of a printer..

DDR means double data rate, opposed to SDM and DDR2, this has nothing to do with OS DIMM. SO DIMM means small outline dual inline memory module, these modules are about half the size of the modules used in desktops.

sodimm style stuff is like 1/3 the lenth or so of pc stuff and slots in at an angle until it clicks down (my thinkpad is 144 pin pc133 sodimm, non ddr)

sodimm looks like this:

http://www.toycomp.com/image/144pinSODIMM.jpg

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.