Strange.. I installed everything on my motherboard, everything is perfectly set up and when I turn the power switch the fans and everything starts moving for a split second and then turns off.. 3 seconds go by and the fans start moving again, then it stops... and on it goes. I was afraid this would damage my components so I turned my computer off and rechecked everything. Everything was correctly put in place. Here are my computer specs!!

Antec P182 Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Corsairs 4x1Gb Ram
ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775
FSP Group AX500-A ATX12V 500W Power Supply
Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail
Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
PNY GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
DVD Phillips Burner

So there it is... I dunno what the problem could be. The only thing I could think of is that the power supply not giving out enough power for that huge video card. Could that be it?! Thanks for your opinion guys!

Jerr

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Unplug everything except CPU, One stick of ram and video. If it posts, then try adding one thing at a time to try to eliminate what is causing the problem.

If not...well...either one of the components are bad(yes it is definately possible to have a new component dead right out of the package) or just incompatible in that configuration.(for example - the Motherboard may support the cpu, but only after a BIOS upgrade...)

Unplug everything except CPU, One stick of ram and video. If it posts, then try adding one thing at a time to try to eliminate what is causing the problem.

If not...well...either one of the components are bad(yes it is definately possible to have a new component dead right out of the package) or just incompatible in that configuration.(for example - the Motherboard may support the cpu, but only after a BIOS upgrade...)

Hmm, so its not the PSU causing the problem? I would've thought that all these components were giving a heavy load to the PSU, thus causing the computer to turn on and off.:confused:

Well, it still *could* be the PSU...but a NEW 500W should have more than enough juice to atleast see post.

Just thought of something (alot of people forget about this - I've done it a time or two myself) Make sure you have POWER PLUGGED INTO the video card

Just thought of something (alot of people forget about this - I've done it a time or two myself) Make sure you have POWER PLUGGED INTO the video card

Yea, its plugged in. The video card's not the problem, the problem is that the compter keeps turning on and off. So I'm guessing its just too much power for my PSU. Not sure though, Im still waiting till I get home to try and turn this thing on with the basics.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.