Please take a moment to mourn the loss of my faithful CPU, who died this morning in a blaze of heat :'(

http://hornet.demon.nl/tmp/DSC_6915.jpg

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

OMG It actually caught on fire! :-O

not literally, seems I was in time to turn the thing off before permanent damage was done to the motherboard.
Getting a new CPU from a friend (who has connections ;) ) tomorrow, and already got me a massive CPU cooler to put on top of it just in case.

my core2+ no heatsink or fan went to 180c before catching fire and melting - took about 15 seconds tops

my core2+ no heatsink or fan went to 180c before catching fire and melting - took about 15 seconds tops

Why were you running it with no heat sink and fan???
Let me guess, you go cliff diving on the weekends? :)

not unlike the results i got while trying to over clock and over volt an amd windsor 65w 4200 x2. i'm a huge fan of amd, but i can't see why they thought it would be a good idea to make a low watt 90nm cpu...

Why were you running it with no heat sink and fan???
Let me guess, you go cliff diving on the weekends?

lol, no , the HSF assembley came unclipped while the comp was being transported in the car and i only discovered that afer switching it on ;)

Oh, I better be careful to install CPU and fan correctly when I build my first system; this is one is just too old to upgrade. I'll probably go with AMD/ASUS. I had a k6-2 500 with ASUS mobo that worked great for years.

yeah i have a system like that, noname asian motehrboard and a Pentium 3 933mhz. Has run happily for nearly 8 years

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.