Hello,
Here is the deal. I have two harddrives. One has RedHat Linux9.0, and one has Windows 2k. I used to have a functional grub install. But then I had to reinstall win2k and it deleted my grub at mbs. Now I can't access Linux. I also lost my boot floppy. Is there anyway to install any sort of fork that will allow me to chose between win2k and Linux from the windows side? I don't want to reinstall Linux because some of the drivers I used were very hard to find and it required a whole lot of tweaking afterwards.
Thank you in advance,
Ilya

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

so any ideas?

My only thoughts are to edit your BOOT.ini file and change the links to each operating system.
I might be able to extend my answer but I would need more information.

Can't u simply make the Linux Partition Active?

DON'T try this unless u have a win2k boot disk. I'm suddenly seeing images of blue screens fileld with crap.

what information do you need? how do I edite boot.ini. I don't really use computers for much but programming and gaming so my knowledge of OS's and stuff is somewhat limmited.

how do I edit boot.ini? where is it?

Here is the deal. I have two harddrives. One has RedHat Linux9.0, and one has Windows 2k. I used to have a functional grub install. But then I had to reinstall win2k and it deleted my grub at mbs. Now I can't access Linux. I also lost my boot floppy. Is there anyway to install any sort of fork that will allow me to chose between win2k and Linux from the windows side? I don't want to reinstall Linux because some of the drivers I used were very hard to find and it required a whole lot of tweaking afterwards.

How are your partitions organized?

The way I solved a similar problem in my system was to use GAGBoot http://GAG.SourceForge.net
It can be installed to a floppy or to the HD. I use it on a floppy because my Windows 120 GB HD has a special MBR so Win98 can recognize it. With the floppy in, it goes to the second 80 GB Linux drive. Without the floppy, Windows. It's not actually booting from the floppy; GAG simply points to the Linux boot record--it's almost instantaneous. This might be a good stopgap until you figure out a more permanent fix.

GAG lets you boot up to nine OSes from a graphical interface...

The way I solved a similar problem in my system was to use GAGBoot http://GAG.SourceForge.net
It can be installed to a floppy or to the HD. I use it on a floppy because my Windows 120 GB HD has a special MBR so Win98 can recognize it. With the floppy in, it goes to the second 80 GB Linux drive. Without the floppy, Windows. It's not actually booting from the floppy; GAG simply points to the Linux boot record--it's almost instantaneous. This might be a good stopgap until you figure out a more permanent fix.

Thank you,
That is exactly what I am going to do since the moment I'l be able to access my Linux I'll use grub install command and install GRUB at my MBS.
Thank you again,
Ilya

I tried it but it only recognizes EXT2 file system. I have 3 ext3 (swap, etc..).
Ilya

Get rid of Win2k :)

The way I solved a similar problem in my system was to use GAGBoot.

QUOTE Valmian: I tried it but it only recognizes EXT2 file system. I have 3 ext3 (swap, etc..).

Hmmm... There must be something else going on, because the filesystem does not matter; it only "sees" the boot record. I have used this with ext2, ext3, and ReiserFS without problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.