Hey all,
i am having trouble getting sendmail to work, all i need it to do is send on any mail to the main smtp server which can then send to the correct user. in the .cf file the smart host field shows 'DSmyserver.mydomain.com' which is correct as far as i know. i havent changed any other part of the file as i was informed this is all i need.

can any one help?

the server is internal so i'm not worrying about an security config or external mail function
i just want the box to use sendmail to pass on mail from a web page (local) to the main email server.

cheers

spikes

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sorry, I can't help :( No experience with sendmail. I guess I don't need to say to check out man pages at sendmail.org. Aside from that, check out the RedHat documentation on redhat.com. They're often pretty good and easily adaptable to other linux distros as well.

Are you trying to set up a email relay server? senario:
your inside server name= ds.domain.com
put this line in your virtusertable file
@domain.com %1@ds.domain.com
mail send to john@domain.com will have sendmail forward to
john@ds.domain.com
if you are using Exchange for internal mail, be sure you have an email address for john@ds.domain.com and john@domain.com

don't forget to run :
makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < virtusertable
assumming your virtusertable is in /etc/mail

Hey all,
i am having trouble getting sendmail to work, all i need it to do is send on any mail to the main smtp server which can then send to the correct user. in the .cf file the smart host field shows 'DSmyserver.mydomain.com' which is correct as far as i know. i havent changed any other part of the file as i was informed this is all i need.

can any one help?

the server is internal so i'm not worrying about an security config or external mail function
i just want the box to use sendmail to pass on mail from a web page (local) to the main email server.

cheers

spikes

You're trying to sendmail from a local machine to an SMTP server else where? Why not just set up a relay? If you could run:

sendmail -v -t -i (or mail -v user@host.com) and copy and paste the output, that would help a lot (I think). You know how to work with sendmail on the command line? Ie:

To: user@host.com
Subject: blah
Yo
^d

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.